HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Foreign Affairs & National Security » Israel/Palestine (Group) » Ex-intelligence chief Dis...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 07:25 PM

Ex-intelligence chief Diskin says Netanyahu, Barak ‘not fit to lead Israel’ and wrong on Iran

Yuval Diskin, the former head of the Shin Bet, launched an unprecedentedly harsh assault on Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Ehud Barak on Friday, saying they acted out of “messianistic” impulses, were misleading the public over the Iranian challenge, and that he had no faith in their capacity to launch a war on Iran or extricate Israel from one.

Speaking at the Majdi Forum in Kfar Saba, a Tel Aviv suburb, Diskin said there might be “a measure of truth” in the first component of the Netanyahu-Barak assertions that “if Israel doesn’t act, the Iranians will get the bomb.” But there was no truth in the second component they were peddling — that “if Israel does act, the Iranians won’t get the bomb.” He said the two politicians were appealing to “the idiots within the Israeli public” in making that claim.

Diskin, who stepped down as Shin Bet chief after six years last year, and who has never previously spoken out publicly in this way, said Netanyahu and Barak were not fit to lead Israel. “I don’t have confidence” in either of them, he said. This was not the leadership that was needed if Israel was to embark on an attack on Iran, not the leadership capable of stewarding a possible regional war.

He cited experts who had long argued, credibly he said, that an Israeli attack on Iran would simply enable the regime there to speed to the bomb openly, with a perceived increased sense of legitimacy.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/ex-intelligence-chief-diskin-says-netanyahu-barak-not-fit-to-lead-israel-and-wrong-on-iran/

7 replies, 1002 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Ex-intelligence chief Diskin says Netanyahu, Barak ‘not fit to lead Israel’ and wrong on Iran (Original post)
oberliner Apr 2012 OP
teddy51 Apr 2012 #1
oberliner Apr 2012 #2
teddy51 Apr 2012 #3
holdencaufield Apr 2012 #4
teddy51 Apr 2012 #5
oberliner Apr 2012 #6
teddy51 Apr 2012 #7

Response to oberliner (Original post)

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 07:30 PM

1. The guy better sleep with one eye open after those comments. n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to teddy51 (Reply #1)

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 11:10 PM

2. You think someone is going to try to kill him for saying that?

I really doubt it.

Reply to this post

Response to oberliner (Reply #2)

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 11:24 PM

3. Nothing would surprise me with the Netanyahu Govt. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to teddy51 (Reply #3)

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 11:27 PM

4. You have proof that they assasinate their political enemies? NT

Reply to this post

Response to holdencaufield (Reply #4)

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 11:41 PM

5. Nothing would surprise me with the Netanyahu Govt. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to teddy51 (Reply #3)

Sat Apr 28, 2012, 07:24 AM

6. Who would you like to see as PM?

Which Israeli politicians might you support?

Reply to this post

Response to oberliner (Reply #6)

Sat Apr 28, 2012, 02:24 PM

7. Anyone that is a Progressive Left Winger and doesn't try and pick a fight with Iran. n/t

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread