HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Foreign Affairs & National Security » Israel/Palestine (Group) » Ultra-Orthodox Jews Attac...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 07:04 PM

Ultra-Orthodox Jews Attack Woman In Israeli Town

By Agence France-Presse
Tuesday, January 24, 2012

JERUSALEM — A group of ultra-Orthodox men attacked a woman on Tuesday as she put up posters in an Israeli town that has become a flashpoint for tensions between religious and secular Jews, police said.

Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said the incident occurred in Beit Shemesh, which lies 30 kilometres (18 miles) west of Jerusalem, as the woman was trying to put up posters for Israel’s national lottery.

“A woman was driving in Beit Shemesh and putting up posters for the Israeli lottery when she was surrounded by a group of ultra-Orthodox men,” Rosenfeld told AFP.

“They threw stones at her and slashed the tyres of her car. They also stole her car keys. She was slightly injured in the head. Police arrived and took her to a safe place. Three suspects were arrested.”

MORE...

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/01/24/ultra-orthodox-jews-attack-woman-in-israeli-town/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story%29

3 replies, 1294 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Ultra-Orthodox Jews Attack Woman In Israeli Town (Original post)
Purveyor Jan 2012 OP
Scurrilous Jan 2012 #1
Crunchy Frog Jan 2012 #2
libodem Jan 2012 #3

Response to Purveyor (Original post)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 10:06 PM

1. Victim of haredi attack: I thought I was going to die

Beit Shemesh resident Natalie Mashiah, who was assaulted by haredim while hanging signs in a synagogue, says she begged assailants to leave her alone, but they wouldn't. 'Some 50 people stood by and watched. Nobody said or did anything,' she recounts

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4180414,00.html

<snip>

"Beit Shemesh resident Natalie Mashiah, 27, who was attacked by dozens of extremist haredi men while trying to put up posters of Mifal Hapyis (Israel's national lottery) in a synagogue recalled the moments of horror.

"I didn't even have time to pull down the hand brake, and they already surrounded me. They shattered all the windshields and threw stones at me. I begged them to stop, I promised to leave, but they wouldn't let me go.

"Meanwhile, some 50 people stood by and did nothing – men, women and children. No one said anything or did anything," she recalled painfully.

The young woman, who was lightly injured in the incident, said "I saw death right in front of me. I thought I was going to die. I saw dozens of haredim appearing from all corners with rocks and bottles and I didn't know what was in them."

She only later found out the bottles contained bleach."

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Scurrilous (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 11:54 PM

2. Dozens of men physically attacking one lone woman.

An example of true manliness in action.

I didn't read the article. What was her offence? Was she dressed "immodestly"? Did the posters have pictures of women on them?

I don't suppose these acts would be considered terrorism; unless they had been carried out by Palestinians.

Reply to this post

Response to Purveyor (Original post)

Thu Jan 26, 2012, 02:05 PM

3. What has this world come to?

OMG, how unenlightened. Suppose the attacks were in the name of their god. A-holes

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread