HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Foreign Affairs & National Security » Israel/Palestine (Group) » Israeli soldiers allegedl...

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 08:12 PM

Israeli soldiers allegedly assault principal and teachers ( B'tselem )

Israeli soldiers allegedly assault principal and teachers; threaten to hold them accountable for any future stone-throwing by students, Tuqu’, 10 December 2012:

18 Feb 2013

On Monday, 19 November 2012, students at the boys’ high school in Tuqu’ demonstrated against Israel’s Operation Pillar of Defense in Gaza. The school is adjacent to Route 356, which connects Bethlehem and Hebron, and some students threw stones at the road. Subsequently, Israeli soldiers arrived on the scene. In a video filmed by a photojournalist for the Palestinian Ma’an News Agency, a soldier is seen firing live ammunition at the students, although the latter posed no danger to the soldiers. One student, Muhammad al-Badan, 17, was wounded in the abdomen. B’Tselem approached the Office of the Military Advocate for Operational Matters (MAOP) regarding the incident. On 3 February 2013 the Office of the MAOP informed B’Tselem that it had ordered a Military Police investigation of the allegations.

B’Tselem has also learned from testimonies it gathered that, three weeks after the shooting incident, Israeli soldiers came to the high school. The soldiers assaulted the principal and two teachers, warning them they would be held accountable if students from the school would continue to throw stones at the road and to clash with soldiers. B’Tselem contacted OC Judea and Samaria Division, demanding an inquiry into the matter and measures to prevent the recurrence of such incidents.

In his testimony to B’Tselem, Tuqu’ high school principal Salem Abu Mfareh, 55, related the following:

Salem Abu Mfareh, Tuqu’ high school principal. Photo: Suha Zeid, B'Tselem

"“The school is located at the entrance to Tuqu’, near the main road. Sometimes students from our school clash with the military, and then the military uses tear gas to disperse the students. Sometimes the military fires tear gas at the schoolyard, and then the tear gas gets into the classrooms. The students inside the classrooms choke on the gas, and it’s difficult to study under these conditions.

in full: http://www.btselem.org/beating_and_abuse/20130218_soldiers_harass_school_faculty_in_tuqu

1 replies, 440 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Israeli soldiers allegedly assault principal and teachers ( B'tselem ) (Original post)
Jefferson23 Feb 2013 OP
R. Daneel Olivaw Feb 2013 #1

Response to Jefferson23 (Original post)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 12:01 AM

1. Such wonderful soldiers. I wonder if they FB and instagram as well.

Salem Abu Mfareh, school principal, related what happened next:

“Among the soldiers was an officer. He told me that they wanted to come in. I refused and told him that the students weren’t in their classrooms now, and I couldn’t bring soldiers inside. The soldiers began cursing us. One of them grabbed my head. Another grabbed both my arms and twisted them back. It hurt. Then, they dragged me over to the jeep. The officer came over to me and spoke to me in Arabic, saying: ‘This is your last chance to get your school into shape and to control the students. If you don’t, we’ll demolish the school and arrest you.’

I told him that I’d try to control the students while they’re in school. But I made it clear that after they leave the premises, I have no control over the students. The officer said that he’d hold me accountable if there’d be any problems like there had been during the war in Gaza. At that time there had been student demonstrations that grew into clashes with soldiers and stone-throwing incidents. During one of those clashes, soldiers shot one of our students, Muhammad al-Badan.”

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread