HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Foreign Affairs & National Security » Israel/Palestine (Group) » Israel's Lieberman says P...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 02:30 PM

Israel's Lieberman says Palestinian peace accord impossible

(Reuters) - Israel has no chance of signing a permanent peace accord with the Palestinians and should instead seek a long-term interim deal, the most powerful political partner of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Saturday.

The remarks by Avigdor Lieberman, an ultranationalist whose joint party list with Netanyahu narrowly won a January 22 election while centrist challengers made surprise gains, seemed designed to dampen expectations at home and abroad of fresh peacemaking.

A spring visit to Israel and the Palestinian territories by U.S. President Barack Obama, announced this week, has stirred speculation that foreign pressure for a diplomatic breakthrough could build - though Washington played down that possibility.

In a television interview, ex-foreign minister Lieberman linked the more than two-year-old impasse to pan-Arab political upheaval that has boosted Islamists hostile to the Jewish state.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/09/us-palestinians-israel-idUSBRE91809620130209

Hopefully he'll be barred from the cabinet as suggested in the last paragraph.

10 replies, 1165 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Israel's Lieberman says Palestinian peace accord impossible (Original post)
oberliner Feb 2013 OP
PDJane Feb 2013 #1
oberliner Feb 2013 #2
PDJane Feb 2013 #3
Ken Burch Feb 2013 #5
PDJane Feb 2013 #6
Shaktimaan Feb 2013 #9
R. Daneel Olivaw Feb 2013 #7
R. Daneel Olivaw Feb 2013 #10
Ken Burch Feb 2013 #4
LeftishBrit Feb 2013 #8

Response to oberliner (Original post)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 02:53 PM

1. Israel does not want peace.

If they have peace, they have no reason to take land and resources from the Palestinians, and they'd have to give back taxes. Why would they want that?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to PDJane (Reply #1)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 06:02 PM

2. Keep repeating that to yourself

It probably is essential for you to believe this in order for your views on this conflict to make any sense.

Reply to this post

Response to oberliner (Reply #2)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 06:32 PM

3. There are a great number of people who see this;

Among them, an Israeli journalist named Gideon Levy. Shimon Peres. Akiva Eldar has said that only non-Jews can save Israel.

You can deny it because it doesn't fit with your world view, you can tell me how horrible I am, that my view of the conflict only makes sense to me, but it's not true.

Reply to this post

Response to PDJane (Reply #3)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 07:05 PM

5. You need to make a distinction there between the Israeli people and the Israeli political class.

In most countries, the people want peace, and it's the politicians who want to keep the wars going-because ending a war, in most cases, means giving up a lot of power and accepting much more accountability, and also means doing something few politicians, at heart, really wants to do...use their power to make life better for the majority of people, as opposed to simply using it to exalt their own egos. There seems to be a clear link between getting elected to high office anywhere and deciding that most problems can only be solved by killing people.

Also, please, for the love of God, make a clear distinction between "Israeli" and "Jew". When you use phrases like "only non-Jews can save Israel", you sound like a neo-Nazi or something. I know you aren't, but that impression can be created when language is used carelessly like that.

Reply to this post

Response to Ken Burch (Reply #5)

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 07:37 PM

6. No. I don't.

It may be true that some of the Israelis are more secular and more concerned with civil rights. Considering what has been happening on buses and in religious neighbourhoods, and that fact that these people are elected...and considering the number of times settlers have attacked Palestinians, the number of settlements that dump raw sewage on Palestinian farmland, the companies that market dead sea minerals....no, I don't.

I'm going to point out that the business of non-Jews is a quote. Perhaps I should have made that clear; that was what the article in Ha'aretz stated. I simply copied it.

Reply to this post

Response to PDJane (Reply #3)

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 09:07 AM

9. "A great number," huh?

You know, I'm sure there are. That people agreeing with your view are "great in number" says little about their credibility or level of knowledge wrt the I/P conflict. It doesn't speak to their sanity either... Gideon Levy is hardly a paragon of virtue seeing as how he is lacking possession of even one of the above three traits.

Shimon Peres meets a higher standard, but he doesn't hold the ideology you just described. At least, not publicly. No idea what you read to indicate otherwise. He was one of the actual leaders involved in trying to broker a peace deal with Arafat. He knows that Israel has attempted to achieve peace.

And Eldar doesn't seem to have voiced his support for your theory either. The quote you provided is totally unrelated to your theory.

it doesn't fit with your world view, you can tell me how horrible I am, that my view of the conflict only makes sense to me, but it's not true.

Whatever dude. Your remark simply isn't supported by any evidence. It's propaganda, not a fact.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 11:04 PM

7. PDJane hit the nail on the head. If Israel had wanted peace it would not be

actively letting five-hundred thousand Israelis squat on Palestinian land.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 09:10 AM

10. Keep denying the obvoious, Oberliner.

It probably is essential for you to believe this in order for your views on this conflict to make any sense.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 06:59 PM

4. Well, Lieberman WOULD say that, wouldn't he?

The man's whole career depends on keeping the war going forever, after all.

BTW, on that "joint list", does anybody know how many mk's are considered Likud and how many are considered Beitenyu?
Just wondering how many personal loyalists this guy still has in the Knesset(the two parties together had 43 seats before the election and then slumped to 31).

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 08:55 AM

8. And he'll do everything in his power to ensure that there isn't one!

Hope he gets kicked out of his job before he can do too much further damage.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread