HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Foreign Affairs & National Security » Israel/Palestine (Group) » Hamas to Abbas: Transfer ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Dec 31, 2012, 07:15 PM

Hamas to Abbas: Transfer the Palestinian Authority to us, not Netanyahu

Hamas officials on Monday criticized Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas' declarations over the weekend that if the diplomatic stagnation continues after the Israeli election, he will dismantle the PA and return responsibility for the West Bank to the Israeli government.

In an interview to Haaretz on Thursday Abbas said, "If there is no progress even after the election I will take the phone and call Netanyahu. I'll tell him, 'my dear friend, Mr. Netanyahu, I am inviting you to the Muqata . Sit in the chair here instead of me, take the keys, and you will be responsible for the Palestinian Authority.'"

In response, Hamas deputy political bureau chief Moussa Abu Marzouk called on Abbas to hand the keys over to Hamas, not to Israel.

"Why give it up to Netanyahu? We are more reliable. The more effective threat would be for Abbas to hand over authority to Hamas, who has proven its steadfast opposition to the Gaza blockade and has won battles against Israel. This would strengthen efforts at reconciliation between Fatah and Hamas," Abu Marzouk stated.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/hamas-to-abbas-transfer-the-palestinian-authority-to-us-not-netanyahu.premium-1.491102

3 replies, 764 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Hamas to Abbas: Transfer the Palestinian Authority to us, not Netanyahu (Original post)
Redfairen Dec 2012 OP
Scootaloo Dec 2012 #1
delrem Dec 2012 #2
bemildred Jan 2013 #3

Response to Redfairen (Original post)

Mon Dec 31, 2012, 10:15 PM

1. Better yet, why not refrain from hyperbolic bluffs that won't be followed through on?

Yeah, Abbas is going to hand it all over to Netanyahu, suuuuuure he is...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Scootaloo (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 31, 2012, 10:25 PM

2. He's far too fond of photo-ops with H. Clinton and Netanyahu.

Having them pat him on the back, publicly, so he can think he's a player.

Reply to this post

Response to Scootaloo (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 1, 2013, 08:27 AM

3. Yep, such "threats" attenuate quickly, even when real, and Abbas has made this threat a lot.

He ought to have learned that from the Israelis.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread