HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Foreign Affairs & National Security » Israel/Palestine (Group) » Abbas condemns Hamas head...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 08:48 AM

Abbas condemns Hamas head’s statements; Likud doesn’t buy it

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas openly denounced anti-Israel statements made by Hamas political leader Khaled Mashaal last week, pointing out that Hamas had agreed in principle to the two-state solution and thus to Israel’s right to exist.

The Turkish news agency Hürriyet on Thursday reported that at the end of a visit in Ankara, Abbas said he did not accept the idea that the State of Israel would never be recognized.

“I don’t agree with Khaled Mashaal’s statement on the non-recognition of Israel because we, in fact, recognized it in 1993,” Abbas told reporters in English as he wrapped up his two-day visit. “A four-article agreement between stipulates a two-state vision. And Mashaal approved of this agreement.”

Tzipi Livni, the head of the Hatnua party and Israel’s former foreign minister, called Abbas on Thursday, telling him that she appreciated his rejection of Mashaal’s comments about Israel. “It is important for the public to hear a message like this so they won’t lose hope of a agreement,” she said.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/abbas-condemns-hamas-leaders-call-for-the-destruction-of-israel/

4 replies, 592 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Abbas condemns Hamas head’s statements; Likud doesn’t buy it (Original post)
oberliner Dec 2012 OP
bemildred Dec 2012 #1
oberliner Dec 2012 #2
bemildred Dec 2012 #3
shira Dec 2012 #4

Response to oberliner (Original post)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 09:12 AM

1. "No good deed goes unpunished." -- Claire Booth Luce

At least Tzipi thanked him.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to bemildred (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 09:35 AM

2. There are no hopeless situations; there are only men who have grown helpless about them.

Another great quote of hers that might be applicable here.

Reply to this post

Response to oberliner (Reply #2)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:03 AM

3. +1.

Yep, she was no chump.

Reply to this post

Response to oberliner (Original post)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 09:26 PM

4. Fatah glorifies Hamas rockets & supports armed conflict

http://www.palwatch.org/main.aspx?fi=157&doc_id=8157

Abbas Zaki, Member of Fatah Central Committee:
“My feelings towards Hamas have softened. I salute them. I congratulate them for learning the lessons of 2008-2009 (previous Israel-Hamas conflict). They gave us great pleasure. May Allah bless them. (Note: Islamic Jihad and Hamas launched more than 1,000 rockets and missiles at Israeli cities during the 8-day conflict.) They told the Israelis that this is no joy ride... May Allah bless Islamic Jihad, may Allah bless Hamas. They decided to die to earn this honor... I’m in favor of a Palestinian victory in Gaza, Hamas’ and Jihad’s victory. Nothing matters to me now except Israel's defeat.”
Wattan TV, (Palestinian private channel), Nov. 21, 2012

PA TV show “Topic of the Day” discusses the ramifications of the cease fire between the Palestinian factions and Israel in the November 2012 conflict between Israel and Gaza with guests Dr. Jamal Muhaisen, member of Fatah Central Committee; political correspondents Dr. Ihab Basiso and Nathir Majali; and member of the Popular Front Political Bureau Jamil Mazhar.
Member of Fatah Central Committee Jamal Muhaisen: “We say again: We of course praise our people’s resolve in Gaza. We praise and salute every hand that launched a rocket at Israel from Gaza, and every hand that threw a stone at the Israeli side in the West Bank. And here, when signing agreements, it must not be done as if the battle was between Israel and Hamas only. The battle was and all the Palestinians.”
PA TV (Fatah), Nov. 22, 2012

Senior PA leader and member of Fatah Central Committee Nabil Shaath: “We are all gathered here because of the unity . This unity will win further victories for us. Blessings to the Martyrs, and may Allah have mercy on the hero Ahmed Al-Ja'abari and on all the Martyrs.”
Al-Aqsa TV (Hamas), Nov. 22, 2012

Note: Ahmed Al-Ja'abari was the head of Hamas' military wing and responsible for deaths of dozens of Israelis. He was killed by Israel at the start of Israel's Operation Pillar of Defense, aimed at crippling the terrorist infrastructure in Gaza (November 2012).

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread