HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Foreign Affairs & National Security » Israel/Palestine (Group) » Angela Merkel reaffirms G...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 11:06 PM

Angela Merkel reaffirms German support for Israel after UN vote

German Chancellor Angela Merkel reassured Israel of her country's support on Saturday, two days after Berlin disappointed the Jewish state by abstaining in a UN vote on the Palestinians' status.

Germany, which will host Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and many of his ministers next week, abstained in Thursday's vote in the U.N. General Assembly which provided de facto recognition of a sovereign Palestinian state.

Netanyahu's government had hoped that Berlin would join the United States and a handful of other countries in opposing the resolution.

Germany, haunted by memories of the Nazi regime and the Holocaust, tends to be a strong ally of Israel on the diplomatic stage.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/angela-merkel-reaffirms-german-support-for-israel-after-un-vote-1.481759

6 replies, 855 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Angela Merkel reaffirms German support for Israel after UN vote (Original post)
oberliner Dec 2012 OP
Jackpine Radical Dec 2012 #1
delrem Dec 2012 #2
King_David Dec 2012 #3
delrem Dec 2012 #4
Recursion Dec 2012 #5
Jackpine Radical Dec 2012 #6

Response to oberliner (Original post)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 11:11 PM

1. The politics of guilt.

I would certainly have predicted that the Germans would not vote for a Palestinian state.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Jackpine Radical (Reply #1)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 11:44 PM

2. guilt certainly does exist.

Recently I googled an aphorism that '1 lie begets 7 lies', which led me to a page that quoted Martin Luther (10 November 1483 18 February 1546). Luther's denunciation of "Jews" made me sick. It was all couched in some weird religious (?) language, which further sickened me. When I say "sick" I mean that reading this stuff physically sickens me, makes it harder for me to physically exist, to enjoy happiness. What kind of sickness? I think I'm confronting "religious insanity", where whatever spurious "belief" is cited to justify whatever sick social insanity - and this insanity is imposed on large segments of the population.

"guilt" certainly isn't limited to "the holocaust", it encompasses the whole f*cking thing.

Reply to this post

Response to delrem (Reply #2)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 02:25 AM

3. Very difficult post to understand

Can you simplify it a bit?

After you take a Dramamine of course.

Reply to this post

Response to King_David (Reply #3)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 06:31 AM

4. no

Not possible when lack of understanding is out of malice.

Reply to this post

Response to Jackpine Radical (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 08:20 AM

5. The morality and feasibility of a majority-Jewish state in the Levant has nothing to do...

...with the Shoah. Those are separate questions. If it was about the Holocaust, then the land should have been taken from central and eastern Europe (which, after all, the Ashkenazim had lived in for longer than they had lived in Israel previously). The formation of the state of Israel was the culminaton of over a century of Jewish nationalism that started around the time of the other nationalist movements in the mid 19th century.

At any rate, trying to delay a Palestinian state now means letting Israel annex the West Bank, which means the end of Israel as a Jewish democracy.

Reply to this post

Response to Recursion (Reply #5)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 08:55 AM

6. I'm simply saying that, because of their history, the Germans

are quite unlikely to take any position that can be construed as anti-semitic or anti-Israeli. An abstention (rather than outright siding with Netanyahu and the US) is about the furthest they would feel free to go in opposition to Israel's wishes.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread