HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Foreign Affairs & National Security » Israel/Palestine (Group) » Israeli PM Netanyahu sudd...

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 05:44 PM

Israeli PM Netanyahu suddenly seems vulnerable

JERUSALEM (AP) Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who appeared to be cruising to re-election a few weeks ago, suddenly appears vulnerable as the country prepares to go to the polls in January.

The political comeback of a popular former foreign minister on Tuesday, coupled with the ruling Likud Party's selection of an especially hard-line slate of candidates, has suddenly raised questions about Netanyahu's prospects. Eager to portray Netanyahu as an extremist, opposition parties see an opportunity to mount a formidable challenge to the Israeli leader.

Ousting Netanyahu remains a formidable task, but the return of Tzipi Livni, who served as Israel's foreign minister and chief peace negotiator from 2006 to 2009, injected a high-profile name into what had been a lackluster race. Well respected internationally, Livni immediately took aim at what she called a "leadership vacuum" and promised an aggressive push for peace with the Palestinians.

"I came to fight for peace," she said. "And I won't allow anyone to turn peace into a bad word."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2012/11/27/israeli-netanyahu-vulnerable/1729791/

2 replies, 574 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Israeli PM Netanyahu suddenly seems vulnerable (Original post)
bemildred Nov 2012 OP
Panasonic Nov 2012 #1
teddy51 Nov 2012 #2

Response to bemildred (Original post)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 05:48 PM

1. Tzipi Livini REALLY needs to lead Israel, not Bibi

And it's time end all hawkish behavior on Gaza and Iran.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Panasonic (Reply #1)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 05:57 PM

2. Totally agree, and it would be a wonderful surprise.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread