HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Foreign Affairs & National Security » Israel/Palestine (Group) » Israel 'disappointed' wit...

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 02:48 PM

Israel 'disappointed' with US stance on UN bid

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman have strongly criticized the US for their reticence, the report said.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

But according to Israeli newspaper Haaretz, Clinton urged Israel not to punish Abbas' administration for the bid.

Israeli officials have threatened various punitive actions, including withdrawing Palestinian tax revenues, supporting more settlement building, and canceling past agreements.

Fatah official Abbas Zaki said Sunday that Clinton had successfully persuaded Israel to call off punitive measures.

http://www.maannews.net/eng/ViewDetails.aspx?ID=541736

2 replies, 699 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Israel 'disappointed' with US stance on UN bid (Original post)
azurnoir Nov 2012 OP
Spider Jerusalem Nov 2012 #1
hrmjustin Nov 2012 #2

Response to azurnoir (Original post)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 04:31 PM

1. Which is perfectly understandable

I don't think punishing the Palestinians for seeking UN recognition of statehood is the answer; I also don't think that it's a very helpful move. There should be no recognition of Palestine unless and until Fatah and Hamas jointly (as the responsible parties of Palestinian government) formally recognise the state of Israel (even if that recognition is limited to "within the borders mandated in the 1948 partition"). There are obvious concessions and compromises to be made on both sides regarding issues of borders, land swaps, compensation for seizure of Palestinian lands, and so on, but it's frankly absurd for the Palestinans to expect that recognition of a Palestinian state should happen while they don't recognise Israel. Granted, recognition of a Palestinian state within pre-1967 borders is tantamount to recognising the sovereignty of Israel in former Mandatory Palestine outside those borders, but they should still make it explicit. Israeli opposition to any UN vote on this is perfectly understandable.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to azurnoir (Original post)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 05:46 PM

2. I hope bibi looses big!!!!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread