HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Foreign Affairs & National Security » Israel/Palestine (Group) » Qatar to finance sports c...

Fri Nov 2, 2012, 11:31 AM

Qatar to finance sports city project in Gaza

Qatar is set to finance plans to build a sports city in the Gaza Strip, a senior official has announced.

Mohammad Al-Madhoun, Palestinian Minister of Sports, Youth, and Culture, said in comments published by Kuwait News Agency that the first Qatari-financed sports city will be launched soon.

Al-Madhoun made his remarks during the opening of football youth league in Gaza, adding that the new sports city will be built in the southern part of Gaza.

He added that Qatar will finance the $25m project that will include an international stadium, sports fields, hotels, an Olympic-sized swimming pool and offices.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/qatar-finance-sports-city-project-in-gaza-478262.html

14 replies, 1202 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 14 replies Author Time Post
Reply Qatar to finance sports city project in Gaza (Original post)
oberliner Nov 2012 OP
King_David Nov 2012 #1
oberliner Nov 2012 #2
King_David Nov 2012 #3
oberliner Nov 2012 #4
King_David Nov 2012 #5
oberliner Nov 2012 #9
shira Nov 2012 #10
holdencaufield Nov 2012 #6
King_David Nov 2012 #7
holdencaufield Nov 2012 #8
Alamuti Lotus Nov 2012 #11
oberliner Nov 2012 #12
Alamuti Lotus Nov 2012 #13
oberliner Nov 2012 #14

Response to oberliner (Original post)

Fri Nov 2, 2012, 06:35 PM

1. Sounds like Apartheid ?

Unless Qatar is set to finance plans to build a sports city in Tel Aviv ?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to King_David (Reply #1)

Fri Nov 2, 2012, 06:36 PM

2. Do people still say "concentration camp Gaza"?

Or has that phrase been retired?

Reply to this post

Response to oberliner (Reply #2)

Fri Nov 2, 2012, 07:16 PM

3. Nope , get with it...

Apartheid is all the rage ...

Reply to this post

Response to King_David (Reply #3)

Fri Nov 2, 2012, 07:46 PM

4. In Gaza??

How is that even possible?

Reply to this post

Response to oberliner (Reply #4)

Fri Nov 2, 2012, 07:51 PM

5. Everything is Apartheid where Israel's concerned ..

Gaza Westbank Tel Aviv Lebanon Syria New York City the UN etc etc

If Israel is involved .. It's Apartheid ..

Reply to this post

Response to King_David (Reply #5)

Sat Nov 3, 2012, 09:07 AM

9. Ali Abunimah has taken to calling Israel "The Apartheid Entity"

Last edited Sat Nov 3, 2012, 10:54 AM - Edit history (1)

That's among one of his many euphemisms.

Reply to this post

Response to oberliner (Reply #9)

Sat Nov 3, 2012, 10:53 AM

10. Abunimah on Israel's Nazi policies...

In a post on the Elecronic Intifada in January 2009, headlined “Why Israel Won’t Survive,” Abunimah wrote that Israel was created by "the ethnic cleansing of Palestine’s non-Jewish majority Arab population," and "has been maintained in existence only through Western support and constant use of violence to prevent the surviving indigenous population from exercising political rights within the country, or returning from forced exile." Abunimah expressed his belief that the intention of the peace process was to normalize Israel as a Jewish state and gain Palestinian blessing for their own subjugation. He compared Israel to apartheid South Africa, saying Israel makes "South Africa’s apartheid leaders look wise, restrained and humane by comparison." In addition, he also approvingly cites comparisons of Israel to Nazi Germany made by Gerald Kaufman. In 2010 he wrote on Twitter that “Supporting Zionism is not atonement for the Holocaust, but its continuation in spirit.” In 2011 he tweeted that: “It's racist to think Jews need a special state and can't live with other people. Aren't they human like the rest of us?”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Abunimah#Views_on_Israel_and_Palestine

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 2, 2012, 10:35 PM

6. I'm not a professional nutrtionist ...

... but isn't it very difficult for starving people to play sports?

Shouldn't they be building a giant Arby's?

Reply to this post

Response to holdencaufield (Reply #6)

Fri Nov 2, 2012, 10:46 PM

7. Bad idea,

With Apartheid and all..

Reply to this post

Response to King_David (Reply #7)

Sat Nov 3, 2012, 12:09 AM

8. You know what goes good with apartheid?

Horsey Sauce! (maybe on the side)

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 4, 2012, 12:12 AM

11. sorry to disturb the hasburrito circle jerk here, but..

no, actually I won't disturb it--you're all enjoying this far too much, even a professional cloud-raining-on-parade like myself wouldn't think to intrude.

side note: hasburrito--yay or nay? on the fence for this one, personally.

Reply to this post

Response to Alamuti Lotus (Reply #11)

Sun Nov 4, 2012, 12:15 AM

12. Glad that you realize how stupid it all is

Hopefully we can retire these idiotic nicknames and have a real conversation one of these days.

This forum is in a sorry state.

Edit to Add: What's your take on Qatar's relationship with the Hamas government in Gaza? An overall positive for the Palestinians?

Reply to this post

Response to oberliner (Reply #12)

Sun Nov 4, 2012, 12:44 AM

13. actually, I'm a big fan of those "idiotic nicknames"

Last edited Sun Nov 4, 2012, 01:30 AM - Edit history (3)

And I'm not sure how certain inferences can be made from things I say, particularly lately. There's paraphrasing, and then there's just putting words in somebody's mouth. I prefer to keep others' fingers out of my mouth, and I will speak for myself. Endlessly speak for myself with big words when in the mood, as you well know.

You say "this forum is in a sorry state", but you're front and center in that aforementioned circle jerk above. That has to be considered part and parcel of the also aforementioned sorry state, don't you think? And I'm not sure how one can be in the center of the ring around a circle, but I can't be bothered to revise that with a better functioning metaphor. The sorry state lunges further forward.

The dictator of Qatar is just looking to purchase Hamas away from its nominal and highly overstated relationship with Iran, while keeping its influence ahead of the dictator of Saudi Arabia. The Qatari gas depot is coopting branches of the Muslim Brotherhood all over the region as an instrument of US foreign policy, using its supreme hypocrite and laughing stock televangelist for hire Sheikh Qaradawi as its celebrity endorsement. On the matter of occupied Palestine, the dictator of Qatar is already pushing Hamas leaders to play nice with Fatah and collaborate with Israel. This is not a positive development, this is business as usual.

Note: in hindsight, paragraph 2 wasn't intended to be nearly as aggressive towards you personally as it seems to be; more of a generally directed aggressive statement. Left as is, but with this slight clarification.

Reply to this post

Response to Alamuti Lotus (Reply #13)

Sun Nov 4, 2012, 06:16 AM

14. Ok then

I take your point about my role in the "sorry state" of the forum. I've been frustrated lately that serious articles seem to sink without comment while more silly arguments seems to be all that holds anyone's interest and I've admittedly joined in the silliness as a result of that frustration.

I appreciate your insights on the person you call "the dictator of Qatar" and his approach to Hamas and Gaza. There seems to be a complex relationship developing there, and I wonder what the impact will be on Hamas, the PA, the Palestinians and the Israelis, other countries in the region, etc. I don't really have a handle on the motivations of the players involved.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread