HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Foreign Affairs & National Security » Israel/Palestine (Group) » Israeli Army Calculated C...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Oct 17, 2012, 12:52 PM

Israeli Army Calculated Calorie Needs For Gazans To Stave Off Malnutrition During Blockade

By Associated Press, Updated: Wednesday, October 17, 12:25 PM

JERUSALEM — The Israeli military meticulously calculated the number of calories Gaza’s residents would need to consume to avoid malnutrition during a sweeping blockade imposed on the Palestinian territory between 2007 and mid-2010, according to a document the Defense Ministry released under a court order and that was made public Wednesday.

The Israeli military insisted that it never used the 2008 guidelines to restrict the flow of food to Gaza. But critics disputed that, saying the calculations appear to have guided limits imposed on food imports at the time. They said the document provides further evidence that Israel used food as a weapon to put pressure on Hamas, the violently anti-Israel militant group that seized Gaza by force in mid-2007.

--clip
Israel’s military spokesman Maj. Guy Inbar said the mathematical formula was devised as a safeguard to identify food needs and avoid a humanitarian crisis in Gaza.

The Israeli rights group Gisha, which waged a lengthy legal to make the document public, contended that Israel calculated the calorie needs for Gaza’s population in order to restrict the quantities of goods and basic products it allowed in during the three-year blockade.

MORE...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/israeli-army-calculated-calorie-needs-for-gazans-to-stave-off-malnutrition-during-blockade/2012/10/17/efa78a2e-1831-11e2-a346-f24efc680b8d_story.html

37 replies, 3175 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 37 replies Author Time Post
Reply Israeli Army Calculated Calorie Needs For Gazans To Stave Off Malnutrition During Blockade (Original post)
Purveyor Oct 2012 OP
azurnoir Oct 2012 #1
bemildred Oct 2012 #2
shira Oct 2012 #3
SESKATOW Oct 2012 #4
shaayecanaan Oct 2012 #5
Alamuti Lotus Oct 2012 #6
bemildred Oct 2012 #7
shira Oct 2012 #8
azurnoir Oct 2012 #9
shaayecanaan Oct 2012 #10
shira Oct 2012 #11
shaayecanaan Oct 2012 #12
shira Oct 2012 #16
azurnoir Oct 2012 #17
shira Oct 2012 #18
shaayecanaan Oct 2012 #19
azurnoir Oct 2012 #20
azurnoir Oct 2012 #13
shaayecanaan Oct 2012 #14
azurnoir Oct 2012 #15
oberliner Oct 2012 #22
azurnoir Oct 2012 #24
oberliner Oct 2012 #28
azurnoir Oct 2012 #30
shira Oct 2012 #31
azurnoir Oct 2012 #32
shira Oct 2012 #33
azurnoir Oct 2012 #34
shira Oct 2012 #35
oberliner Oct 2012 #37
shaayecanaan Oct 2012 #25
oberliner Oct 2012 #27
oberliner Oct 2012 #21
azurnoir Oct 2012 #23
oberliner Oct 2012 #26
azurnoir Oct 2012 #29
oberliner Oct 2012 #36

Response to Purveyor (Original post)

Wed Oct 17, 2012, 03:08 PM

1. a bit more detail on this

The documents includes tables detailing Palestinians’ caloric needs according to age and gender. Following these calculations, as well as estimations of how much food is being produced inside of Gaza, the report concludes that Israel should allow 106 trucks a day into Gaza to supply Palestinians with their “daily humanitarian portion” of food, medicine, and other products. Between 2007 and 2010, however, Israel allowed an average of only 67 trucks a day to enter the Gaza Strip–falling far short of the recommended number.

http://972mag.com/government-releases-red-lines-document-detailing-gaza-food-restrictions/57883/

I remember this was mentioned back on DU2 too but search is disabled due to high traffic

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Oct 18, 2012, 01:25 PM

2. Document: Israel calculated calorie needs for embargoed Gazans

---

Gisha, an Israeli human rights group, said it acquired two versions of the study from 2008. The document concluded that 106 trucks per day could bring the appropriate amount of food, medicine, hygiene items and agricultural "inputs." The group said that was in contrast to the more than 400 trucks that entered Gaza before June 2007.

"How can Israel claim that it is not responsible for civilian life in Gaza when it controls even the type and quantity of food that Palestinian residents of Gaza are permitted to consume?" said Sari Bashi, executive director of Gisha.

Gisha said the 106-truck standard was the model for what Israel Deputy Defense Minister Matan Vilnai approved, and it demanded Israel allow the free passage of goods.

Fawzi Barhoum, a Hamas spokesman, said: "This is good evidence against Israel. We will use this report against Israel to show its crimes against humanity."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/17/world/meast/israel-calorie-count-gaza/index.html

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 18, 2012, 08:51 PM

3. It was never implemented.

In fact, no officials in Gaza complained about a lack of food.

Reply to this post

Response to shira (Reply #3)

Fri Oct 19, 2012, 01:59 AM

4. Some Israelis do indeed speak the truth. Great speech Miko Peled

Reply to this post

Response to shira (Reply #3)

Sun Oct 21, 2012, 11:45 PM

5. It must have been a translation error

In 2006, Israeli government adviser Dov Weisglass was widely quoted as having said: "The idea is to put the Palestinians on a diet, but not to make them die of hunger."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-19975211

Never mind, I am sure he meant nothing of the kind.

Reply to this post

Response to shaayecanaan (Reply #5)

Mon Oct 22, 2012, 12:24 AM

6. he is being misquoted, possibly also taken out of context

is the BBC anti-semetic? I forget, but it sure seems that way.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 22, 2012, 05:44 AM

7. +1.

Like it was not glaringly obvious what was going on and why.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 22, 2012, 06:16 AM

8. No one's claiming a translation error. There's zero evidence...

....such a plan was ever carried out.

Then again, when was evidence ever needed when trashing Israel?

Remember this photo? It's from September 2008 in the Gaza concentration camp, at the height of the alleged food crisis.

Is this photo-error?

Food-washing?

BTW, Israel is incapable of blocking off Gaza's border at Egypt. Where's Egypt in all this hand wringing of yours? The MB is still, to this day, managing to impose their own blockade on Gaza. The same MB you support in Syria against Assad and his Hezbollah goons (who you only support vs. Israel, I gather). They're all Zionist stooges, right?

Well anyway, it goes to show Egypt makes its own choices and the MB isn't being bullied around by Israel. Neither now in Egypt or Syria, or then during the height of the Gaza "Concentration Camp Starvation Crisis" (TM) that you're so very concerned about.

Reply to this post

Response to shira (Reply #8)

Mon Oct 22, 2012, 05:38 PM

9. well thanks for the input

first for that still rather IMO photo-shopped looking picture of Lauren Booth(?) supposedly buying food in an Gaza grocery store from sometime 2007-2010, and it was stated that Israel never instituted its program which suggested 106 trucks a day be allowed into Gaza but Israel in the only delivered 67 trucks a day so your right on that, but as for the rest things started to change in 2010 after the Mavi Mamara incident when people started paying more attention to Gaza and the change over in the Egyptian government has also helped a bit too, BTW do still have those pictures of overweight Arab children presumably from Gaza that 'proved' there was absolutely no hunger in Gaza you were fond of posting? Going by that standard if there are over weight kids obviously there is no hunger, we could solve the world hunger problem with a few photos

Reply to this post

Response to shira (Reply #8)

Mon Oct 22, 2012, 05:43 PM

10. Yes, there's zero evidence...

that the Israelis were putting the Palestinians on a diet, other than the fact that the Israelis said that they were putting the Palestinians on a diet.

And golly gee, I guess that photo of a supermarket in Gaza really blows the food crisis out of the water, eh? A bit like how this photo of a shopping mall in Sudan proves that there is no humanitarian crisis in Sudan:-

Reply to this post

Response to shaayecanaan (Reply #10)

Mon Oct 22, 2012, 06:35 PM

11. Weisglass had an idea. How do you know it was implemented?

That's right, you don't.

As to a humanitarian crisis in Gaza, propagandists had claimed that prior to Intifada 2:
http://www.google.com/search?q=gaza+humanitarian+crisis&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&sa=X&ei=FI5eTOvqBoGdlgert_2ZCA&ved=0CBcQpwU&source=lnt&tbs=nws%3A1%2Ccdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A1%2F1%2F1990%2Ccd_max%3A12%2F31%2F2000

It was bullshit back in the 90's just as it was bullshit later on.

You brought up Sudan, but here we see that Palestinians say Gaza isn't Darfur...
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/dispatches/2010/08/gaza_is_not_darfur.html

Guess they forgot their talking points.

Reply to this post

Response to shira (Reply #11)

Mon Oct 22, 2012, 09:30 PM

12. I agree, no evidence at all...

Nothing but made-up nonsense such as this...

JERUSALEM — Israel's blockade of the Gaza Strip was meant to push the area's economy "to the brink of collapse," according to a U.S. diplomatic cable released by Wikileaks on Wednesday, signaling that Israel was well aware that the policy was taking a heavy toll on the area's civilian population.

Israeli leaders have long maintained that the blockade was necessary to weaken the ruling Hamas militant group. The newly released document, published in Norway's Aftenposten newspaper, indicates that Israel hoped to accomplish that goal by targeting Gaza's 1.5 million people.

According to the March 3, 2008, cable written by an American official, Israeli officials told American diplomats "on multiple occasions that they intend to keep Gaza's economy on the brink of collapse without quite pushing it over the edge."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/05/israel-gaza-collapse-wikileaks_n_804583.html

Even more non-evidence. Haven't these people got anything better to do?

In 2008, Israel told U.S. officials that Israel would keep Gaza's economy "on the brink of collapse" while avoiding a humanitarian crisis, according to U.S. diplomatic cables published by a Norwegian daily newspaper. "As part of their overall embargo plan against Gaza, Israeli officials have confirmed to (U.S. embassy economic officers) on multiple occasions that they intend to keep the Gazan economy on the brink of collapse without quite pushing it over the edge," a November 3, 2008 U.S. cable stated. Israel wanted to maintain Gaza "functioning at the lowest level possible consistent with avoiding a humanitarian crisis," according to the cable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contents_of_the_United_States_diplomatic_cables_leak_%28Israel%29

Reply to this post

Response to shaayecanaan (Reply #12)

Tue Oct 23, 2012, 04:35 AM

16. Nothing about controlling caloric intake there. Remember...

...Palestinians in a refugee camp bursting out in laughter at a reporter, telling him this isn't Darfur.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/dispatches/2010/08/gaza_is_not_darfur.html

GAZA CITY—Aid officials in Gaza all recite the same statistics: "44 percent unemployment , 80 percent food-aid dependent, and 60 percent living on less than $2 a day." It sounds like a script they've grown tired of delivering to passing journalists.

After multiple rounds of similar briefings, I'm staring at Kamla Joudah's parlor in Nuseirat refugee camp, in the middle of the Gaza Strip. The warm beige tones of the furniture reflect the heat, and the walls gleam. The frequently cut power is on today, so the fan whirls. Tea and coffee are brought out on a small tray.

Kamla catches me appraising her home. "What are you looking at?" she asks, with some pique.
"Your house," I reply, "It's very nice."

She looks at me quizzically, "This is not Darfur," she snaps. The family members in the room burst out laughing as I blush.

The oft-recited statistics paint a bleak picture of life in the territory. But Gaza is a lot more complicated than the numbers suggest.

Comments like Kamla's are common here; everyone I speak to insists the coastal enclave is nothing like Somalia, Bangladesh, or the Democratic Republic of Congo. And people are indignant that I suggested it might be in the same league as those places.

They'd burst out laughing at you as well.

"There is food in Gaza. It's not a humanitarian crisis. There is no hunger, there is no starvation, but there is a crisis of another nature," says Mahmoud Daher, a World Health Organization official in Gaza, who was expressing his personal views, not those of his organization.

As Daher explains, the blockade has dramatically altered the standard of living for Palestinians in the territory. In three years, he assesses, Gazans have lost 20 years of economic development. And in that decline lies the root of the crisis in Gaza as he sees it.

"Inability to access quality care is a crisis, inability for people to produce and have access to jobs is a crisis, inability of people to get the quality of education that they are used to is a crisis, and above all a crisis of dignity—a crisis of humanity," Daher tells me.

Did you check the links to the humanitarian crisis in Gaza, as way back as 1993?

What was happening back then in 1993?

=======

Maybe you need to go back to the drawing board.

And again, if you guys are so worried about Palestinians (not that you are) one would think you'd bring up Egypt's role in this "blockade". With the Brotherhood in power, the Israeli "blockade" continues, even at the Gaza/Egypt border. The same Brotherhood you're supporting in Syria against Assad's forces.

Reply to this post

Response to shira (Reply #16)

Tue Oct 23, 2012, 05:07 AM

17. ah that article was written after the Mavi Mamara incident that is forced Israel

to loosen up the type and amounts of goods including foods into Gaza, this OP deals with the period prior to the Mavi Mamara

Reply to this post

Response to azurnoir (Reply #17)

Tue Oct 23, 2012, 05:16 AM

18. It was just 2 months after. Palestinians in a refugee camp were laughing...

....at the useful-idiot reporter.

Reply to this post

Response to azurnoir (Reply #17)

Tue Oct 23, 2012, 06:16 PM

19. A fair bit of the food aid was passing through the tunnels as well...

I dare say had the tunnels not been operating that hunger would have been a real prospect.

Nevertheless, its amazing that a single sentence from Ahmadinejad's mouth is enough to justify a war on Iran for our hasbarado friends, but several statements from Israelis, a report, and diplomatic cables are not enough to justify a finding that Israelis engaged in collective punishment of Gazans by restricting the entry of basic supplies into the Gaza Strip.

Reply to this post

Response to shaayecanaan (Reply #19)

Tue Oct 23, 2012, 06:36 PM

20. so goes life in I/P

but theres no double standard nope nothing to see here folks

Reply to this post

Response to shaayecanaan (Reply #10)

Mon Oct 22, 2012, 11:18 PM

13. once again with your solution to poverty and hunger post a picture and claim otherwise

Last edited Tue Oct 23, 2012, 01:28 AM - Edit history (1)

the entire world is hunger and poverty free see problem solved oh so simple

Reply to this post

Response to azurnoir (Reply #13)

Tue Oct 23, 2012, 12:33 AM

14. The Red Cross should really take advantage of this

Look, here's a shopping mall in Rwanda! No more poverty! Problem solved!

And look at this shopping mall being built in the Congo. It looks like they've been living in the land of plenty, the lying bastards.

Reply to this post

Response to shaayecanaan (Reply #14)

Tue Oct 23, 2012, 01:29 AM

15. yep works everywhere

but that being said I should really pay attention to whom I'm replying too

Reply to this post

Response to shaayecanaan (Reply #14)

Tue Oct 23, 2012, 07:41 PM

22. Rwanda doesn't have currently widespread issues with starvation

In fact that photo, I believe, is taken from an article about how Rwanda is becoming the "Singapore of Africa" in terms of economic development.

Information technology super-charging Rwanda's economy

http://www.un.org/africarenewal/magazine/april-2011/information-technology-super-charging-rwandas-economy

Reply to this post

Response to oberliner (Reply #22)

Tue Oct 23, 2012, 10:33 PM

24. according to the CIA World Fact Book

the average PPP per capita income in Rwanda is about $1400
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/rw.html

compared with a ppp per capita income of $31,400 in Israel
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/is.html

in the US that ppp per capita figure is $49,000
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/us.html

yep sounds booming to me

and note the comment says poverty not starvation

Reply to this post

Response to azurnoir (Reply #24)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 07:16 AM

28. The headline in the OP is about malnutrition, not poverty

Why the other poster decided to introduce Rwanda (and now some kind of animal and its anatomy) into the conversation only that poster knows.

My point is meant to combat what I thought was being asserted with the inclusion of the photo.

Reply to this post

Response to oberliner (Reply #28)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 05:03 PM

30. you'd have to read the entire subthread to understand why that picture was posted

it had to do with using single photos to disprove a larger point like if you can come with a couple of pictures of wealth in a certain country it 'proves' there is no poverty there or a couple of pictures of overweight kids in Gaza it 'proves' there is or was no problem with hunger there

Reply to this post

Response to azurnoir (Reply #30)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 05:48 PM

31. If there was starvation in Gaza, then surely you guys...

..would have posted dozens of pictures of skinny, starving children.

But you haven't.

And yet you still claim there's starvation and hunger.

Reply to this post

Response to shira (Reply #31)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 06:00 PM

32. if memory serves at that time (DU2) posting pictures in I/P was against the rules

which is why no one did it if memory serves your was a link to pictures but could it be that there were enough substantiating reports of malnutrition in Gaza to make pictures unnecessary

also I note you insist on using the word starvation rather than malnutrition which was more accurate

Reply to this post

Response to azurnoir (Reply #32)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 06:26 PM

33. IOW, there are no pictures. Because it's bullshit.

And we all know it's bullshit.

Just like the bullshit claims about a humanitarian crisis in Gaza going back to 1993.

As to starvation, yeah, that was the claim.

Even by Jimmy Carter:

To me, the most grievous circumstance is the maltreatment of the people in Gaza, who are literally starving and have no hope at this time.

Carter: Gaza residents 'starving to death'
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3533297,00.html

Speaking at the American University in Cairo after talks with Hamas leaders, Carter said Palestinians in Gaza were being "starved to death" and received fewer calories a day than people in the poorest parts of Africa.

Bullshit.

Not that I expect you to admit to it.

Because if that's what Carter really thinks, it's not really bullshit is it?

Reply to this post

Response to shira (Reply #33)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 06:39 PM

34. still demonizing Carter eh?

however I prefer malnutrition and it is strange that despite reports admitting to the program from the Israeli government you still deny but okay it sort of makes a point IMO but perhaps not the one you intend

Reply to this post

Response to azurnoir (Reply #34)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 06:46 PM

35. Carter says they were starving. You say it's not about starvation.

There's no demonizing going on.

The claim was starvation.

Of course you realize that was a bullshit claim since you "prefer" malnutrition.

And there are no reports from the government admitting the program was ever implemented. It was certainly mentioned, but that's all you've got.

Still looking for pictures?

Reply to this post

Response to azurnoir (Reply #30)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 07:33 PM

37. I think there are some myths about Gaza that ought to be dispelled

I can post photos of hungry kids from anywhere, include these United States.

We also have fancy hotels and shopping malls.

So does Gaza.

Reply to this post

Response to oberliner (Reply #22)

Tue Oct 23, 2012, 11:41 PM

25. Male echidnas have a four-headed penis

only two of the penises are used during any one mating session, the others are kept in reserve. The echidna alternates the use of each penis during subsequent mating sessions by rotating them around, sort of like chambers in a revolver.

Sorry, just thought that one pointless irrelevance deserved another.

Reply to this post

Response to shaayecanaan (Reply #25)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 07:15 AM

27. You introduced Rwanda into the conversation

You seemed to be making a point of comparison between photos of Gaza and photos of Rwanda.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 23, 2012, 07:13 PM

21. Sounds like something Bloomberg might try to implement in NYC

2,279 calories per person seems actually pretty high.

Reply to this post

Response to oberliner (Reply #21)

Tue Oct 23, 2012, 10:18 PM

23. actually the USDA averages are 2000-2500 calories per day

Last edited Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:57 AM - Edit history (1)

but I understand how that's different its for Americans after all

Reply to this post

Response to azurnoir (Reply #23)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 07:14 AM

26. Not for females

USDA for females are 1600-2200 depending on age, weight, and activity level.

Reply to this post

Response to oberliner (Reply #26)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 03:26 PM

29. either way male or female the calculated calorie count is not out of line n/t

Reply to this post

Response to azurnoir (Reply #29)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 07:32 PM

36. Agreed

It is definitely not an unsafe level.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread