HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Foreign Affairs & National Security » Foreign Affairs (Group) » Russia scraps law enforce...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 08:09 PM

Russia scraps law enforcement deal with U.S. in new blow to ties

Source: Reuters

Russia scraps law enforcement deal with U.S. in new blow to ties

By Thomas Grove
MOSCOW | Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:25pm EST

(Reuters) - Russia scrapped a law enforcement agreement with the United States on Wednesday, further turning back the clock on a "reset" in relations since President Vladimir Putin's return to the Kremlin last year.

An order to end the deal, signed by Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, was posted on the government's website. It said the agreement, under which Washington provided financial assistance for law enforcement and drugs control programs, "does not address current realities and has exhausted its potential".

Alexei Pushkov, a Putin ally who heads the international affairs committee in the lower parliament house, said Russia was "reformatting its relationship" with the United States.

"This is already the third agreement canceled in the last half-year. We are saying farewell to our dependence on 'Power No. 1'," he said on Twitter.

-snip-

Read more; http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/30/us-russia-usa-lawenforcement-idUSBRE90T17S20130130

1 replies, 424 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Russia scraps law enforcement deal with U.S. in new blow to ties (Original post)
Eugene Jan 2013 OP
Systematic Chaos Jan 2013 #1

Response to Eugene (Original post)

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 08:19 PM

1. I can't say I blame them for wanting to distance themselves from our idiotic "Drug War."

But on the other hand, don't they have a serious drug epidemic over there too?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread