HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Environment & Energy » Vegetarian, Vegan and Animal Rights (Group) » Growing concerns over 'in...

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 07:11 AM

Growing concerns over 'in the air' transmission of Ebola

I admit that as much as I abhor treating other animals as fair game for experimentation I don't DO much about it and even accept that I and the rest of humankind may just need to accept the karma of some limited and necessary experiments for the critical and tremendous medical benefits to our kind.

I'm sure, in fact I think I can recall reading of more graphically cruel examples. But for whatever reason this case, even with the potential tremendous medical good that might come from the knowledge, has really touched my heart. I picture these animals, the monkey's looking at the pigs through the wires and wondering....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20341423

I think I need to re-examine some of the choices I make that effectively support this kind of experimentation.

5 replies, 824 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Growing concerns over 'in the air' transmission of Ebola (Original post)
YankeyMCC Nov 2012 OP
Ian David Nov 2012 #1
MFM008 Nov 2012 #2
flvegan Nov 2012 #3
YankeyMCC Nov 2012 #5
Marrah_G Nov 2012 #4

Response to YankeyMCC (Original post)

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 07:42 AM

1. Spreading from pigs to monkeys... OMG...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 08:27 AM

2. anyone see the movie

Contagion? That was scary. One day, somethings going to get loose and it will be terrible.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 12:07 AM

3. "accept the karma"

How convenient for us. The "rest of humankind" so to speak.

Reply to this post

Response to flvegan (Reply #3)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 06:42 AM

5. Thank you

And I'd welcome any suggestions (I'm looking myself for resources of information) on how to make informed choices or take actions that will help reduce the use of these kinds of experiments, put pressure on other companies and institutions to reduce their use of these experiments and help encourage other individuals to also make cruelty free choices in their lives.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 03:45 AM

4. Just about the scariest thing I can imagine is a combination ebola/smallpox biological attack

There are some amazing books out there on the topic of these level 4 contagions.

Ebola has been transmitted through the air, but it was not a strain that was able to pass to humans. If it had, we could have been seriously screwed. Google: Ebola, 1996, Virginia

The people who deal with the outbreaks are real unsung heroes.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread