HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Environment & Energy » Public Transportation and Smart Growth (Group) » MBTA Get's new cars - Bos...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 12:22 AM

MBTA Get's new cars - Boston Globe

MBTA is finally getting some long awaited new coaches for it's commuter rail service!

Boston Globe -------------

The first four of the 75 long-awaited commuter rail coaches being built for the T by South Korean firm Hyundai Rotem are finally in the MBTA’s possession. That does not mean customers will get to ride in the modern double-decker cars anytime soon, though they may spot them on test runs.

The four “pilot coaches” were delivered the morning after Election Day to the MBTA’s Boston Engine Terminal. (That’s the massive purple and blue commuter rail maintenance hangar visible from Interstate 93 in East Somerville.) The double-deckers are the first production vehicles that followed the prototypes, and they will be put through extensive testing before the rest are mass-produced.

----------------------------

Can't wait to ride them, wish they were made in the good ole' USA of course.

1 replies, 586 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply MBTA Get's new cars - Boston Globe (Original post)
Agschmid Nov 2012 OP
Warpy Nov 2012 #1

Response to Agschmid (Original post)

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 02:35 AM

1. I moved to Boston just before the old wooden seat jobs were retired

from the Blue Line. I remember how much excitement there was when the Green Line finally got new cars instead of cannibalizing the old 1950s cars forever.

Maybe I'll have to visit back there when they go into service.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread