HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Environment & Energy » Environment & Energy (Group) » Numbers don't lie: Leaf, ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 10:53 PM

Numbers don't lie: Leaf, Volt selling twice as fast as Prius did at two-year mark

"Despite a challenge by upstarts with cords, the Toyota Prius remains the unofficial car of green-ness. What's sometimes difficult to remember is that the car has been on the market for over a decade, so it's nowhere near an overnight success. We're not sure if we'll ever see the day when half of Santa Monica is driving around in Nissan Leaf electric vehicles, but at least one publication sees history repeating itself this time with plug-ins in the Prius role.

A new article in Scientific American downplays worries that sales of plug-ins such as the Leaf and Chevrolet Volt have been disappointing. In fact, the publication says electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids are "on track or doing better" than hybrid sales were at the same stage of market introduction.

"We are seeing impressive year-on-year sales, declining battery costs, a decarbonizing power sector, and cities around the world committed to reducing congestion and local air pollution," writes Tali Trigg in Scientific American. Supporting the claim are the cold, hard numbers: about two years after their US introduction, both the Leaf and Volt are selling at almost twice the pace as the Prius did two years after it debuted in the States. And such plug-in numbers, which more than doubled to about 120,000 units worldwide last year, may surge further as volume production rises and battery costs fall."

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/02/21/numbers-dont-lie-plug-in-sales-ahead-of-early-hybrid-sales/

5 replies, 1164 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Numbers don't lie: Leaf, Volt selling twice as fast as Prius did at two-year mark (Original post)
wtmusic Feb 2013 OP
Champion Jack Feb 2013 #1
wtmusic Feb 2013 #3
Champion Jack Feb 2013 #4
wtmusic Feb 2013 #5
phantom power Feb 2013 #2

Response to wtmusic (Original post)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 08:23 AM

1. Cool

Still waiting for some kind of SUV type hybrid vehicle.
A hybrid subaru forester type would be what I need.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Champion Jack (Reply #1)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 11:05 AM

3. Have you checked out the Ford Escape Hybrid?

30+ mpg.

Reply to this post

Response to wtmusic (Reply #3)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 06:33 PM

4. I checked 'em out the first year they were out and they seemed kinda cramped (I'm 6'6")

I should try out the newer ones.

Reply to this post

Response to Champion Jack (Reply #4)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 10:45 PM

5. I could see that.

I'm 6'3", not much room to spare. But I love the car.

Reply to this post

Response to wtmusic (Original post)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 09:46 AM

2. People have had 10 years to get more comfortable with non-traditional motors and drive trains

Any hybrid or electric is going to have an easier time penetrating the market just because people have less FUD than they used to.

And gasoline is more expensive these days too.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread