HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Environment & Energy » Environment & Energy (Group) » Obama Golfed With Oil Men...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 05:48 PM

Obama Golfed With Oil Men As Climate Protesters Descended On White House

WASHINGTON -- On the same weekend that 40,000 people gathered on the Mall in Washington to protest construction of the Keystone Pipeline -- to its critics, a monument to carbon-based folly -- President Obama was golfing in Florida with a pair of Texans who are key oil, gas and pipeline players.

Obama has not shied away from supporting domestic drilling, especially for relatively clean natural gas, but in his most recent State of the Union speech he stressed the urgency of addressing climate change by weaning the country and the world from dependence on carbon-based fuels.

"We can choose to believe that Superstorm Sandy and the most severe drought in decades and the worst wildfires some states have ever seen were all just a freak coincidence," Obama said in the speech, last week. "Or we can choose to believe in the overwhelming judgment of science -- and act before it's too late."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/20/obama-climate-protest_n_2719338.html

Would it be presumptuous to predict the "decision"on Keystone XL?

2 replies, 510 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Obama Golfed With Oil Men As Climate Protesters Descended On White House (Original post)
wtmusic Feb 2013 OP
Exultant Democracy Feb 2013 #1
longship Feb 2013 #2

Response to wtmusic (Original post)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 06:01 PM

1. Do protest even matter. Those 2 oil men probably had a bigger impact that day then the 40k did.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to wtmusic (Original post)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 07:02 PM

2. RT was reporting this today, too.

That makes me suspicious. I watch RT once in a while on my local MHz Worldview PBS station. RT can be good, but they seem to feature many obscure Bloggers who are always interviewed with fuzzy Skype-based Web Cams. I wouldn't call them Daily Mail level sensationalists, but they are very close to it.

RT's news comes as close as I can imagine to speculative fiction. It's like South Asia News from India which only talks about Pakistan, or IBN (thankfully now gone from MHz) which only talked about evil Palestinians, etc.

I love international news and I am lucky to have MHz here in rural west Michigan, where there is no bandwidth and no cable TV. PBS helps keep me sane. That and MHz and This! TV which has 24 hour old movies broadcast out of Grand Rapids, a mere 75 miles south of here. Thank goodness for roof antennas... And lots of books to read.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread