HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Environment & Energy » Environment & Energy (Group) » New Lighting Could Replac...

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 08:44 PM

New Lighting Could Replace Fluorescents, CFLs, and LEDs As The Light Source Of The Future

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-12/new-kind-lighting-could-replace-fluorescents-cfls-and-leds-light-source-future

Like the desktop printer and the fax machine, the fluorescent overhead light might soon see a diminished role around the office. Researchers at Wake Forest University have developed a field-induced polymer elecroluminescent (FIPEL) lighting technology that silently gives off a soft, white glow, sans the annoying hum and yellow tint of fluorescent bulbs or the sharp, bluish hue of LED light fixtures.

FIPEL technology is by no means brand new, but turning it into a viable light source has taken some time. The Wake Forest team used a multi-layer white-emitting blend of polymers imbued with a small amount of nanomaterials that glow when stimulated with an electric charge. This nano-engineered polymer matrix is essentially a whole new type of light bulb, different from both the filament-filled Edison bulb and mercury-exciting fluorescent, as well as the LEDs and compact fluorescents (CFLs) that have been slowly replacing some traditional light sources in recent years.

Moreover, it is at least twice as efficient as CFLs (which are filled with hazardous materials that can leak into the environment if the bulb is broken--FIPELs are not) and roughly on par with LEDs, both of which emit light that is not quite suited to the human eye. And the FIPEL technology is tunable--it can be manufactured to give off the soft, white light human eyes prefer or to emit any other color, making it potentially useful for billboard lighting and other displays. Its form factor is even customizable--it can be molded into bulbs with Edison connections to fit existing fixtures, but also into large sheets or panels that could fit into ceiling tiles or wall spaces to provide lighting that is unobtrusively embedded in the spaces around us.

Perhaps best of all, FIPEL technology has been around for quite a while and is already well-understood, meaning two things: Firstly, we know the technology is long-lasting (one of the researchers has had a prototype FIPEL light source that he claims has worked for a decade), and secondly we already know how to produce it. This kind of FIPEL lighting could be on the consumer market as early as next year.

10 replies, 2566 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply New Lighting Could Replace Fluorescents, CFLs, and LEDs As The Light Source Of The Future (Original post)
2on2u Feb 2013 OP
liberal N proud Feb 2013 #1
kestrel91316 Feb 2013 #2
Canuckistanian Feb 2013 #3
kestrel91316 Feb 2013 #7
TeamPooka Feb 2013 #4
ToxMarz Feb 2013 #5
NBachers Feb 2013 #6
kiri Feb 2013 #8
OKIsItJustMe Feb 2013 #9
greeneyes646 Oct 2013 #10

Response to 2on2u (Original post)

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 08:51 PM

1. I welcome a viable replacement for the cfl lights

But I truely love LED's for task lighting.

When I am working on detailed work nothing beats LED. So much easier to see things eliminated by LED.

Be interesting to see how this technology measures up.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 08:52 PM

2. Two questions:

1) How many lumens per watt of energy used and can it produce lumens comparable to that of a 100w incandescent bulb?

2) How much does one that produces the lumens of a 100w incandescent cost??

Because, like LEDs, if it's just bright to look at, that's not useful to me.

Reply to this post

Response to kestrel91316 (Reply #2)

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 10:27 PM

3. Incandescent bulbs are horrible at lumens/watt

Any other lighting technology is better than incandescents.

As for the cost, you have a point. But as with a lot of other technologies, the cost of USING something versus the cost of BUYING it is always something to consider.

Reply to this post

Response to Canuckistanian (Reply #3)

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:18 PM

7. True, but they do provide light to read and work and SEE by.

Unlike LEDs, IMHO.

So unless they put out a lot of lumens, they are never going to catch on.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 10:45 PM

4. I was expecting to see a picture of the sun when I clicked the link but this is better. nt

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:02 PM

5. You're trying to take away my freedoms!

You can have my incandescent bulbs when you pry them from my cold dead hands!

Signed,

A Conservative - no change is good change.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:02 PM

6. OK, what about using it to grow pot? Is it feasible?

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:29 PM

8. electro-luminescence has been known for 70 years

Electro-luminescence has been known for 70 years. Sylvania had a division devoted to making panels and promoting it. I bought and installed several panels for architectural lighting in my home--watched them die.

The problem was--and remains--that it lasts for a year or so, and then fades away. It is also frequency dependent--so 60 Hz AC is not optimal, requiring a converter to change the frequency to 400 Hz or whatever the new material needs.

Like fuel cells, a break-thru will come within 10 years, for the last 50 years.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 11:34 AM

9. Taking the buzz out of office lights

http://news.wfu.edu/2012/12/03/taking-the-buzz-out-of-office-lights/
Published: December 3, 2012

Taking the buzz out of office lights

Say goodbye to that annoying buzz created by overhead fluorescent light bulbs in your office or residence hall. Wake Forest scientists have developed a flicker-free, shatterproof alternative for large-scale lighting.

…

The research supporting the technology is described in a study appearing online in advance of publication in the peer-reviewed journal Organic Electronics.

…

…

The device is made of three layers of moldable white-emitting polymer blended with a small amount of nanomaterials that glow when stimulated to create bright and perfectly white light similar to the sunlight human eyes prefer. However, it can be made in any color and any shape – from 2Χ4-foot sheets to replace office lighting to a bulb with Edison sockets to fit household lamps and light fixtures.

This new lighting solution is at least twice as efficient as compact fluorescent (CFL) bulbs and on par with LEDs, but these bulbs won’t shatter and contaminate a home like CFLs or emit a bluish light like LED counterparts.

…

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 15, 2013, 06:33 AM

10. Advancements in Lighting TEchnology

It amazing to find new advancements taking place around the world. World is moving fast. People around the world have still not adopted LED Technology and we are on the road to becoming better. But, Awareness is essential to spread any technology.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread