HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Environment & Energy » Environment & Energy (Group) » Chu Resigns, Writes Of Ou...

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 06:03 AM

Chu Resigns, Writes Of Our ‘Moral Responsibility’ For Action Amid Growing Evidence

http://www.alternet.org/environment/chu-resigns-writes-our-moral-responsibility-action-amid-growing-evidence-were-making

Chu Resigns, Writes Of Our ‘Moral Responsibility’ For Action Amid Growing Evidence We’re Making Weather More Extreme

Secretary of Energy Steven Chu announced his resignation today. He sent out a remarkable letter to Energy Department employees.

Given that he has not spoken out strongly on the climate crisis since the start of his term, his words on the subject are striking. Here are some excerpts:

The average temperature of our planet is rising, with majority of the temperature increase occurring in the last thirty years. During the three decades from 1980 to 2011, the number of violent storms, floods, droughts, heat waves, wildfires, as tabulated by the reinsurance company Munich Re, has increased more than three-fold. They also estimate that the financial losses follow a trend line that has gone from $40 billion to $170 billion dollars per year. Most of those losses were not insured, and the country suffering the largest losses by far is the United States. As the President said in his recent Inaugural Address, “some may still deny the overwhelming judgment of science, but none can avoid the devastating impact of raging fires, and crippling drought, and more powerful storms.”

The overwhelming scientific consensus is that human activity has had a significant and likely dominant role in climate change. There is also increasingly compelling evidence that the weather changes we have witnessed during this thirty year time period are due to climate change.

11 replies, 2017 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply Chu Resigns, Writes Of Our ‘Moral Responsibility’ For Action Amid Growing Evidence (Original post)
xchrom Feb 2013 OP
newfie11 Feb 2013 #1
timdog44 Feb 2013 #7
triplepoint Feb 2013 #2
madrchsod Feb 2013 #4
triplepoint Feb 2013 #5
caraher Feb 2013 #6
Berlum Feb 2013 #3
progressoid Feb 2013 #8
Jim Lane Feb 2013 #10
phantom power Feb 2013 #9
BlancheSplanchnik Feb 2013 #11

Response to xchrom (Original post)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 06:30 AM

1. Wonder if this will make the MSM nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to newfie11 (Reply #1)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 09:08 AM

7. I wonder this too.

It seems that the important things that happen only appear on site like this.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 06:54 AM

2. chu will become a nuke industry lobbyist

Last edited Mon Feb 4, 2013, 10:16 PM - Edit history (9)

From nuke industry stooge/shill and now to nuke industry lobbyist....chu made sure that he got most if not all of the licenses renewed for nuke plants here in the States that needed renewal before he resigned. He got an offer that he just couldn't refuse no doubt...chu was and still is militantly cleantech-ignorant and anti-Hydrogen Economy. I remember when a group of Hydrogen experts had to go to DC and argue with chu about the govt. sponsoring funding H2 research work. The result of that effort was a measly $40m in funds was earmarked in the DOE budget for H2 research. So that's why I say, "Good riddance asshole chu!" I hope you NEVER get over your guilty conscience! Now, go away already!

So, all those who love fission-based nuclear power, please take a long walk off a short pier and play a terminal game of "thousand bubbles." Nobody will miss you, and you'd be doing a great public service to the rest of us who have to actually live with the lethal consequences of this shyte technology.

Reply to this post

Response to triplepoint (Reply #2)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 07:45 AM

4. that`s good because most of my electricity comes from nuke plants

i`d be awful cold right now without those nukes.

Reply to this post

Response to madrchsod (Reply #4)

Response to triplepoint (Reply #2)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 09:00 AM

6. Most people who have looked at the economics are anti-"hydrogen economy"

Hydrogen hype was mostly an auto industry dodge to stave off emissions and fuel economy regulations. It's no coincidence that George W. Bush was a big sponsor of that. Joe Romm is certainly not "cleantech-ignorant" and he's been very vocal about hydrogen as a big mistake.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 07:30 AM

3. "We can't hear you. La la la la la." - Republicans, Inc.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 09:43 AM

8. That's great but why wait until now to say these things?

Reply to this post

Response to progressoid (Reply #8)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 02:20 PM

10. I'd assume he was saying similar things in internal deliberations and got tired of losing battles.

The accepted procedure is that, as a Cabinet member, you don't publicly criticize the President. Within the administration (i.e., behind closed doors), you advocate for your point of view. When you decide that you're not going to change the policy, or you get tired of the fighting, you quit before going public with your personal opinion.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 10:45 AM

9. speaking truth to power in one's resignation letter doesn't change much

It seems like this happens frequently in politics. People say what needs to be said -- in their resignation letter. To a first approximation, nobody gives a shit what you have to say if you're resigning. They're going to give a shit about what your replacement has to say.

Reply to this post

Response to phantom power (Reply #9)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 10:47 PM

11. yeah...so cowardly. I'm sick of it.

Stand up and back the President, dammit.

Stand up and argue for what's right for the planet to the Presidents' face, if need be.

But this bullshit pattern of taking hour toys and going home, leaving a "you'll be sorry" letter behind---it helps no one, wcxept maybe your own rationalizing conscience.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread