HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Environment & Energy » Environment & Energy (Group) » Require U.S. environmenta...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 06:16 PM

Require U.S. environmental standards everywhere

Every year, Chinese emissions growth adds another country the size of Japan. It is hard to imagine that one year of China's growth, which comes to about $600 billion, could replace the emissions of Japan's $5 trillion economy. Yet, that is the kind of economic accounting cap and trade requires.

Having failed to persuade Congress to implement European-style regime, President Obama has implemented other policies that are reducing U.S. CO2 emissions by about 2 percent each year. These include higher mileage standards for cars and moving electric utilities from coal to natural gas.

If the President and Congress choose to go further, they should embrace policies that encourage participation and sacrifice by all nations, and strengthen, not weaken the U.S. economy.

For example, the United States should require that foreign products sold in the United States meet the same emission standards as those made here. This would require that developing countries like China not exploit the cost advantages from dirty production, and these requirements could meet World Trade Organization requirements by treating domestic and foreign producers equally. That would reduce U.S. CO2 emissions without encouraging energy-intensive industries to migrate to China and other developing countries where they make the problem worse not better.

http://blogs.providencejournal.com/ri-talks/this-new-england/2013/01/peter-morici-require-us-environmental-standards-everywhere.html

4 replies, 418 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Require U.S. environmental standards everywhere (Original post)
naaman fletcher Jan 2013 OP
dbackjon Jan 2013 #1
AtheistCrusader Jan 2013 #2
drm604 Jan 2013 #3
Nihil Jan 2013 #4

Response to naaman fletcher (Original post)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 10:04 PM

1. Would also bring jobs back to the US

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 03:59 AM

2. Why would you wish fracking on other countries?

(Sarcasm, I agree with the spirit of your premise)

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 08:46 AM

3. If this depends on congressional action then I despair of anything happening soon.

I wonder if there's anything within existing law or treaties that the President could use to move towards this goal.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 08:50 AM

4. Great ... we're trying to *raise* standards here and someone suggests that?

(Yes, I do understand the intention behind the blog post but the headline was just too "You WHAT???" )

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread