HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Environment & Energy » Environment & Energy (Group) » More sea turtles flown fr...

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 03:34 PM

More sea turtles flown from New England to Florida

More sea turtles flown from New England to Florida
Posted on Tuesday, 12.25.12
The Associated Press

ORLANDO, Fla. -- More cold-stressed sea turtles have been flown from New England to recover in balmy Florida.

SeaWorld officials say four loggerhead sea turtles arrived Sunday in Orlando aboard a National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration aircraft.

The turtles were originally rescued from the waters off Massachusetts by the New England Aquarium. Record numbers of hypothermic sea turtles have been rescued from the frigid waters off Cape Cod in the last few weeks. Experts say an unseasonably warm November delayed the turtles' migration to warmer waters. The turtles got stranded when the temperatures in Cape Cod Bay dropped quickly.

Dozens of rescued sea turtles have been flown to SeaWorld and other wildlife rehabilitation facilities in Florida. The turtles will be returned to their natural habitat when ocean temperatures are warmer.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/12/25/3156304/more-sea-turtles-flown-from-new.html#storylink=cpy

(Short article, no more at link.)

1 replies, 506 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply More sea turtles flown from New England to Florida (Original post)
Judi Lynn Dec 2012 OP
LiberalEsto Dec 2012 #1

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 04:27 PM

1. Hey, I'm a turtle. Can I get a trip to Florida too?

Of course I'm a turtle.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread