HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Environment & Energy » Environment & Energy (Group) » Polar bear trade, hunting...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 04:52 PM

Polar bear trade, hunting spark controversy

Polar bear trade, hunting spark controversy
By Juliet Eilperin,
December 23, 2012

The polar bear was a mile away and began running toward the dog sled, quickly closing the distance on the frozen Arctic waters of Canada’s Resolute Bay. One of Mark Beeler’s Inuit guides released two dogs to distract it while Beeler, a skilled bow hunter, quickly shot three arrows, piercing the animal’s heart and lungs.

“You’re thinking, I can’t believe I paid this much money to be this close to a dangerous bear,” said Beeler, who was less than 15 yards from the nearly 10-foot-tall adult male when it came down.

The guides skinned the bear on site, quartered the meat to bring back to their village and gave the bear’s fat and intestines to the dogs as a reward. Beeler remembers the experience as if it were yesterday. But it was four and a half years ago, and his polar bear trophy is stuck in Canada, blocked from import into the United States because a month after Beeler’s hunt, the Interior Department listed the polar bear as “threatened” under the Endangered Species Act.

While Beeler had filed immediately for an import permit, the bear he shot — its wet-tanned hide, bleached skull, claws and penis bone — remains in cold storage at an exporter in Calgary, at the cost of about $200 a year.

More:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/polar-bear-trade-hunting-sparks-controversy/2012/12/23/063f31c6-4a0d-11e2-ad54-580638ede391_story.html

2 replies, 579 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Polar bear trade, hunting spark controversy (Original post)
Judi Lynn Dec 2012 OP
Speck Tater Dec 2012 #1
Nihil Jan 2013 #2

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 12:59 AM

1. Don't you just hate it when your penis bone gets stuck in customs?

What the hell is wrong with people who find pleasure in killing things?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Speck Tater (Reply #1)

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 08:27 AM

2. There's a fairly obvious answer to your question ...

> What the hell is wrong with people who find pleasure in killing things?

Their penis has shrunk so much that they need to find another one.

>> “You’re thinking, I can’t believe I paid this much money to be this close to a dangerous bear,” said Beeler

No Master Beeler, I'm thinking that the wrong creature in that encounter ended up
in storage as "a wet-tanned hide" & "a bleached skull". (No claws or penis would have
been found had there been any justice in the world that day.)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread