HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Environment & Energy » Environment & Energy (Group) » NRC Gives Davis-Besse Shi...

Thu May 10, 2012, 10:55 AM

NRC Gives Davis-Besse Shield Building Clean Bill of Health

In a report issued Monday, federal regulators formally closed their inspection of shield building cracking discovered at the Davis-Besse nuclear plant during a reactor pressure vessel head replacement in October.

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission said it was satisfied with FirstEnergy’s plan to deal with the cracks, and that no violations or adverse findings had been identified in the inspection. “Based on an evaluation of (First Energy Nuclear Operating Company’s) extent of condition and technical analysis of the shield building cracking, the NRC staff concluded that FENOC provided reasonable assurance that the shield building was capable of performing its safety functions,” NRC staff wrote in the inspection report.

On Oct. 10, a contractor noticed subsurface cracks in the concrete while performing hydro-cutting to create the hole needed to swap out the RPV head. Following a subsequent investigation, FirstEnergy blamed the cracking on a blizzard in 1978, not long after the plant began operating, and indicated it would add weather-proofing material to the concrete.

The 913 megawatt Babcock & Wilcox pressurized water reactor’s design does not incorporate the unit’s primary containment into the walls of the shield building, which sets it apart from the Crystal River nuclear plant that’s experienced costly delamination of its building concrete that has yet to be resolved. Instead, the Davis-Besse shield building provides environmental protection, biological shielding and protection from external hazards, according to the NRC.

http://nuclearstreet.com/nuclear_power_industry_news/b/nuclear_power_news/archive/2012/05/09/nrc-gives-davis_2d00_besse-shield-building-clean-bill-of-health-050902.aspx

5 replies, 992 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply NRC Gives Davis-Besse Shield Building Clean Bill of Health (Original post)
FBaggins May 2012 OP
BlueToTheBone May 2012 #1
FBaggins May 2012 #2
BlueToTheBone May 2012 #4
Kolesar May 2012 #3
PamW May 2012 #5

Response to FBaggins (Original post)

Thu May 10, 2012, 01:03 PM

1. Shall we bet on how long it will take

for it to fail? How bad it will be?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to BlueToTheBone (Reply #1)

Thu May 10, 2012, 01:27 PM

2. Happy to take your money.

If you're seriously betting on the shield building "failing" because of a tiny nonstructural crack.

Reply to this post

Response to FBaggins (Reply #2)

Thu May 10, 2012, 07:29 PM

4. Sounds like you think they will never fail

but I don't know what is really there and then I get news like this...
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10024694

Reply to this post

Response to FBaggins (Original post)

Thu May 10, 2012, 02:17 PM

3. Well clap my hands and jump for joy

I got a clean bill of health from Doctor McCoy

Reply to this post

Response to Kolesar (Reply #3)

Sat May 12, 2012, 04:58 PM

5. from "The Way to Eden"