HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Environment & Energy » Environment & Energy (Group) » Wildlife Services' brutal...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 01:13 PM

Wildlife Services' brutal methods leave a trail of animal death

Wildlife Services' brutal methods leave a trail of animal death
http://www.sacbee.com/2012/04/28/4450678/the-killing-agency-wildlife-services.html

The day began with a drive across the desert, checking the snares he had placed in the sagebrush to catch coyotes.

Gary Strader, an employee of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, stepped out of his truck near a ravine in Nevada and found something he hadn't intended to kill.

There, strangled in a neck snare, was one of the most majestic birds in America, a federally protected golden eagle.

"I called my supervisor and said, 'I just caught a golden eagle and it's dead,' " said Strader. "He said, 'Did anybody see it?' I said, 'Geez, I don't think so.'

"He said, 'If you think nobody saw it, go get a shovel and bury it and don't say nothing to anybody.' "

Worth the read.

2 replies, 967 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Wildlife Services' brutal methods leave a trail of animal death (Original post)
Old Union Guy Apr 2012 OP
malakai2 Apr 2012 #1
pscot Apr 2012 #2

Response to Old Union Guy (Original post)

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 07:36 PM

1. Definitely worth the read

It's interesting to strike up a conversation with some of those guys and then with a couple poachers and try to figure out who is who.

Regarding the eagle case where the agent was fined $2000, go and try that yourself. Kill or merely harass an eagle, even unintentionally, and get caught doing it. You will pay a fine up to two orders of magnitude larger than the Wildlife Services/Animal Damage Control agent paid, and you might serve some time as well.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Old Union Guy (Original post)

Mon Apr 30, 2012, 12:50 AM

2. Good investigative journalism by the sacbee

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread