HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Environment & Energy » Environment & Energy (Group) » Diablo Canyon knocked off...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 12:58 AM

Diablo Canyon knocked offline, powerless against tiny jellyfish-like creature (salps)

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2012/04/24/2041453/diablo-canyon-nuclear-reactor.html

For the first time, a small jellyfish-like animal called a sea salp has forced the shutdown of Diablo Canyon nuclear power plant.

Plant operators and marine biologists say a convergence of natural factors caused the unlikely event.

“Both biology and ocean physics have teamed up against Diablo Canyon,” said Mark Moline, a marine biology professor at Cal Poly.

The event began Tuesday when southerly winds began blowing the salps into the plant’s cooling water intake cove. Plant operators noticed differences in water pressure at the intake structure, indicating the salps were beginning to clog the rolling screens in front of the intake, said Ed Halpin, PG&E’s chief nuclear officer.

<more>

2 replies, 942 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Diablo Canyon knocked offline, powerless against tiny jellyfish-like creature (salps) (Original post)
jpak Apr 2012 OP
freshwest Apr 2012 #1
Cleita Apr 2012 #2

Response to jpak (Original post)

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 01:04 AM

1. Mother Nature renders the powerful powerless. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Amazing how the tiniest thing undoes their technology.

Among the original arguments against it being built and going online were about the earthquake danger.

Instead something less catatrophic takes them out.

Hopefully, Americans will rethink this project.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to jpak (Original post)

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 01:40 AM

2. I'm delighted.

I live in SLO county and anything that gets rid of this nuke plant is okay with me. I don't even mind doing without electricity. We cope.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread