HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Environment & Energy » Environment & Energy (Group) » Nuke industry, facing hea...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 05:09 PM

Nuke industry, facing headwinds, launches multimillion-dollar ad campaign

Nuke industry, facing headwinds, launches multimillion-dollar ad campaign
By Ben Geman - 03/19/12 01:49 PM ET

The nuclear energy industry’s main trade group is launching a multimillion-dollar TV, radio and print ad campaign at a time when power companies are facing a number of hurdles in their push to build expensive new reactors.

The Nuclear Energy Institute (NEI) ads launching Tuesday cast nuclear plants as a reliable, climate-friendly energy source that create scores of jobs.

The campaign arrives a year after the disaster at Japan’s Fukushima Daiichi plant and as the industry, which hopes to build the first new U.S. reactors in decades, faces competition from the natural-gas production boom.

A spokesman said the buy will cost twice the group’s normal annual ad budget but declined to provide a specific estimate. The ads will run in outlets including NBC’s “Meet the Press” and nightly news, Comedy Central’s “The Daily Show,” “PBS NewsHour,” The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal, The Hill, Politico, The Economist, Time magazine, WTOP radio and many others.

http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/e2-wire/216715-nuke-industry-facing-headwinds-launches-multi-million-dollar-ad-campaign

See also:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/11279965

2 replies, 689 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Nuke industry, facing headwinds, launches multimillion-dollar ad campaign (Original post)
kristopher Mar 2012 OP
bananas Mar 2012 #1
madokie Mar 2012 #2

Response to kristopher (Original post)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 07:09 PM

1. They're really catapulting the propaganda. nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to kristopher (Original post)

Fri Mar 23, 2012, 07:29 AM

2. They possibly could get a better return on their investment

If they work on answers to many lingering unanswered questions such as this one, what, where and how are you going to dispose of the radioactive waste in a safe manner. I know, I know but this question has been around without an answer for many years now. Rather they'll paint the old pig up to look like something it really isn't and hope for the best. Hardly a sound money management policy if I do say so myself.
Nuclear power as it was is dead, evidenced by this very ad campaign.
Might want to buy some stock in lipstick and paint cause they gonna need a lot of both.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread