HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Economy & Education » Education (Group) » Michigan 2-year colleges ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Dec 30, 2012, 04:42 PM

Michigan 2-year colleges now can offer bachelor's degrees

A bill to allow community colleges to offer four bachelor's degrees is among 22 bills signed into law Friday.

Public Act 495 will allow the state's 28 community colleges to offer baccalaureate degrees in energy production, concrete technology, maritime technology and culinary arts. Nursing was originally on the list but was dropped in an amended version of the bill.

Gov. Rick Snyder also signed a bill to protect the privacy of workers' and students' social media accounts.

Supporters of the schooling bill, including the Michigan Community College Association, said the change will help fill a need in the workforce and make college degrees more affordable and accessible to students.

But critics, including universities, have argued the move will create duplication and hurt collaboration between community colleges and universities.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121229/POLITICS02/212290346#ixzz2GZe9wp2l

2 replies, 798 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Michigan 2-year colleges now can offer bachelor's degrees (Original post)
Redfairen Dec 2012 OP
Buzz Clik Dec 2012 #1
longship Dec 2012 #2

Response to Redfairen (Original post)

Sun Dec 30, 2012, 05:21 PM

1. Higher education is changing -- quickly and forever

The big, state-funded institutions with equal emphasis on teaching and research are going to have to figure out where they belong in the grand scheme.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Redfairen (Original post)

Sun Dec 30, 2012, 05:45 PM

2. You mean I really don't have a bachelor's in Cosmology?

I see. It's Cosmetology.

BTW, I live near Big Rapids, the home of the former Ferris State College (now Ferris State University) which used to have a cosmetology department, but has never had -- to my knowledge -- a cosmology major, let alone physics.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread