HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Economy & Education » Education (Group) » Orwellian Education
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 01:32 PM

Orwellian Education

Read this bit the other day, and am curious to hear what the thoughts of UDers are on it.

Basically it asks the question: can schools "nurture students" in the direction of economically "useful" jobs in order to safeguard future economic growth. I find the notion really misguided. While it makes sense to me to, perhaps, provide students with information about what sectors are likely to experience job growth in the future, it's tough for anyone to know for sure where economic growth + new jobs are going to come from. Generally speaking, fostering creativity is more important for future economic growth in my view, especially seeing as how success is increasingly spontaneous and predicated on a good idea, that's well executed on a business level.

7 replies, 961 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Orwellian Education (Original post)
harpslay Dec 2012 OP
SheilaT Dec 2012 #1
duffyduff Dec 2012 #2
mbperrin Dec 2012 #3
SheilaT Dec 2012 #4
sulphurdunn Dec 2012 #5
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #7
AnneD Dec 2012 #6

Response to harpslay (Original post)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 01:40 PM

1. Since public education really got its start

in this country as a way to provide adequately educated people for the workforce, this is just the logical extension of that.

I do agree that education ought to be about more, such as giving people the tools with which to think critically and solve problems.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to SheilaT (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 02:47 PM

2. That's not true.

You got it exactly backwards. It was founded to create a more informed citizenry.

Training people for jobs had nothing to do with it.

Reply to this post

Response to duffyduff (Reply #2)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 09:11 PM

3. Please read and learn.

Reply to this post

Response to mbperrin (Reply #3)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 11:01 PM

4. Thank you.

Excellent link.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 01:10 PM

5. The purpose of public education

was and remains literacy, in what ever area you wish to have a literate populace. What should alarm us is that under the "Common Core Standards" being proposed for public schools include replacing or demphasizing literary works like "Catcher in the Rye", "Huckleberry Fin" and "To Kill a Mockingbird" at the high school level with more informative, non-literary texts. This type of change will be very useful in producing the next generation of cubicle drones for corporate America. Of course it is not even being considered at private, Ivy League preparatory academies like Choate, Groton and Exiter, where the children of the ruling class will continue to read great works of literature and rule over the cubicle drones our children are designated to become.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 22, 2012, 12:21 AM

7. i'd say it's been both. Business always had the guiding hand in determining what the status quo

would be. But there were also definite counter-currents, both on the part of individuals and organized movements.

Reply to this post

Response to harpslay (Original post)

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 04:25 PM

6. I can only imagine...

what George Carlin would say....

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread