HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Economy & Education » Labor Movement (Group) » How to explain and defend...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Jan 20, 2013, 01:24 PM

How to explain and defend unions to anti-union jerks

Unions are democratic organizations whose leaders and rules are chosen by members.
A union is an organization of two or more employees who band together to bargain with their employer over hours, pay and working conditions.
Leaders are elected. Members draft and ratify constitutions that guide the union.

Unions represent all employees whether they pay dues or not.
Unions are required by law to represent the interests of all employees whether they pay union dues or not. They bargain with employers over contracts to establish pay, benefits and working conditions. They represent employees in disciplinary processes, lobby for laws that help working families and offer member benefits and fellowship. Union members help each other and their communities.

Unions are needed now more than ever.
If it weren't for unions, there would be no minimum wage, no eight-hour work day, no child labor laws, no health and safety standards, and no weekends. Extremist anti-worker politicians and powerful corporations are trying to roll back those standards and destroy Social Security and Medicare. Unions are the only group standing between them and workers.
No country has a middle class that doesn't have unions. Unions raise wages, benefits and standards for all workers in an industry.

Without unions, employees have no rights in the workplace.
Without a union, employees have no rights in U.S. workplaces unless they belong to a class protected by equal opportunity laws or labor laws. In most states, employers can fire workers because they don't like the color of their eyes.

Collective bargaining brings fairness to the workplace.
Collective bargaining agreements are legally enforceable contracts to which employers and employees agree. They are intended to create a fair workplace by setting clear expectations for employees.

Collective bargaining agreements typically contain a clause requiring an employer to show “just cause” for disciplining and/or firing an employee. They make sure employees have a due process to defend themselves against unfair accusations by an employer.

Bad trade deals, not unions, are hurting American companies.
Unions raise productivity on average by up to 24 percent in manufacturing, 16 percent in hospitals, and 38 percent in construction. Union workers also have higher professional standards because they train workers.

No worker is ever forced to join a union.
It has long been illegal to require and employee to join a union as a condition of employment. Workers may be charged a fee for union services even if they aren't members because unions are required to represent all employees and because employers are forbidden to discriminate against non-union members.

No Rights At Work laws let government interfere with the freedom of employers and workers to bargain with each other.
These laws force employers to treat all employees the same, and they force unions to represent all members. But they allow freeloaders to take advantage of unions by not paying for the services and benefits they receive. No Rights At Work laws are aimed at destroying unions and lowering workers' living standards.

Unions are always under attack by extremist CEOs and wealthy people.
The anti-union rhetoric you hear from extreme anti-worker politicians was bought and paid for by billionaires like the Koch brothers, Dick DeVos and the Wal-Mart heirs. They have a vast network of front groups, think tanks and paid media shills (like Glenn Beck) to smear unions.

http://teamsternation.blogspot.com/2013/01/unions-101-how-to-explain-and-defend.html

http://americanrightsatwork.org/

7 replies, 1469 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply How to explain and defend unions to anti-union jerks (Original post)
Teamster Jeff Jan 2013 OP
patrice Jan 2013 #1
Teamster Jeff Jan 2013 #4
patrice Jan 2013 #5
madrchsod Jan 2013 #6
Dyedinthewoolliberal Jan 2013 #2
Sherman A1 Jan 2013 #3
Brickbat Jan 2013 #7

Response to Teamster Jeff (Original post)

Sun Jan 20, 2013, 01:28 PM

1. k, so I'm a little confused by "no rights at work laws", a.k.a. right to work states, right? So, how

does right-to-work allow government to interfere in talks between employers and employees? Are you referring to the NLRB? Do you oppose the NLRB? If so, you are obviously union, what about those situations that don't have unions and are so far from that possibility as for it to be impossible? Should those employees have NO advocacy, such as that provided by the government in the NLRB? If that's a preferred condition, from your perspective, are you implying that the NLRB "interferes" with union organizing by controlling employers too much or too little? or is the problem that the NLRB interferes with union organizing by empowering employees too much or too little?

As you can see, I'm confused by your "no rights at work laws" paragraph above, would you please clarify for me?

Thanks!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to patrice (Reply #1)

Sun Jan 20, 2013, 02:09 PM

4. I believe it means that passing RTW laws is the Governmental interference

The main goal of RTW is to weaken the Unions by allowing "free riders" (union members who don't pay dues) and thus weakening the Union financially. A weakened Union would then not be as strong in contract negotiations and more importantly from the Republicans perspective Unions would not be in a good financial position to help Democrats politically.

I don't think that the NLRB is being referred to. The NLRB interprets and enforces existing labor laws which haven't changed in a long time. Which way the NLRB rules (workers vs Company) depends on the political appointments. Under the GOP the board rules almost exclusively in favor of the company in disputes. Under Obama/Solis things have been much better for workers.

Reply to this post

Response to Teamster Jeff (Reply #4)

Sun Jan 20, 2013, 02:19 PM

5. That makes sense now. That weird thing about RTW & how everything about it is the OPPOSITE

of how its advocates represent it.

It's not "right to work". It's no right to work. It's not less government involvement; it's MORE government involvement, interfering in a specifically biased way in something that should be left up to employees and employers.

Reply to this post

Response to patrice (Reply #1)

Sun Jan 20, 2013, 02:24 PM

6. my wife is a union official.

first all employees within the union are covered by the feds and their contact with the company. in the real world those who are not vested into the union are really in a limbo on whether or not they can be fired at will. most times these issues are settled if there is a violation of a state or federal law or it would be beneficial to one or the other side to peruse or not an individual case.

the biggest problem with right to wrong is the dues collection and a persons right not to pay any union dues. my wife gets a list of all the union paying employees each month. the dues are collected by the employer deducting an amount in pay period and sending the amount to the unions state office. then the state union sends back a list of who paid and how much. under "right to work" the company is under no obligation to do this. it would be up to my wife to set up an account at a local bank to deduct or other means to pay. wisconsin`s unions had to do this when walker went right to work. simply put it is a big pain in the ass for the unions. since those who wish not to pay dues it causes big inter-person relationship at the work place. there`s other nuances that the company can employee to break the unions but i think i`ve explained what this means...union members are under no legal obligation to pay union dues.

one of the best things obama has done for labor is appoint two democratic to the labor board. we are getting very good news on each new ruling. it`s the best board we have had in years.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 20, 2013, 01:28 PM

2. Thanks for posting!

I'm a Union Delegate (SEIU) and like to have stuff like this to give to new members..........

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 20, 2013, 02:04 PM

3. K&R

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 09:53 AM

7. That Teamster Nation blog is a daily must-read. Great stuff there.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread