HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Economy & Education » Labor Movement (Group) » The Last Thing We Need Is...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Dec 22, 2012, 08:14 PM

The Last Thing We Need Is MORE Guns In Our Schools And State Houses

http://nhlabornews.com/2012/12/the-last-thing-we-need-is-more-guns-in-our-schools-and-state-houses/

By Matt Murray | December 22, 2012 | Granite State Progress, Labor, Union

Author’s Note: Before I go on what is sure to be a highly controversial rant I want to make it very clear. I believe in a person’s right to own a gun. Nobody, I mean nobody, is talking about taking away all guns. However if you own a semi-automatic weapon that has a 30 plus round magazine then your darn right we are coming for your guns.

Yesterday was the memorial service for the victims of the Sandy Hook tragedy. Just after 9am nearly every media outlet in America stopped for a moment of silence for the victims. They rang a bell 26 times for every victim who perished in the deadly school shooting.

The events in Sandy Hook has reignited an age old debate over gun control. To me the most appalling thing was listening to the National Rifle Association’s press conference after the memorial service. The NRA implied that the reason for such tragedies like Sandy Hook was due to the ‘gun free zone’ laws. Their answer to reducing gun violence is more guns.

“I call on Congress today to act immediately, to appropriate whatever is necessary to put armed police officers in every school” (NRA Press Conference 12-21-12)

Yes you heard that right, they are calling for armed guards in every school in America. These comments sparked outrage from people across the country. Most notably the President of the American Federation of Teachers, Randi Weingarten, which represents the teachers and staff at Sandy Hook Elementary School. In a written statement Weingarten said:

FULL story at link.

1 replies, 734 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Last Thing We Need Is MORE Guns In Our Schools And State Houses (Original post)
Omaha Steve Dec 2012 OP
Sherman A1 Dec 2012 #1

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 04:22 AM

1. K&R

Well said, no one and I mean no one needs an assault rifle.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread