HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Economy & Education » Labor Movement (Group) » Romney and Ohio coal mine...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Aug 14, 2012, 10:16 PM

Romney and Ohio coal miners:

?__scale=w:300,h:200,t:1

From the article:

"Also, the Century Mine is owned by a subsidiary of Murray Energy Corp. -- a company with past environmental violations that Democrats and environmentalists use as evidence to support stiffer regulations.

"Ohio Valley Coal and parent company, Murray Energy, were fined more than $1 million and required to spend $6 million to build a new slurry pipeline in Belmont County as part of a plea agreement for water pollution violations in 2008 and 2010. "

>snip<

"Robert Murray, founder of Murray Energy and a financial donor for mostly Republican candidates, has blamed layoffs at some of his mines on Obama’s policies. Murray attended Romney’s event but didn’t speak – Romney said Murray is a “great boss, he runs a great operation here.”

"U.S. Mine Health and Safety Administration statistics show that Ohio’s mining industry has added about 300 jobs and coal production is up 7 percent during Obama’s presidency. Additionally, the president has funneled $5 billion into “clean coal technology” – investments his campaign says are proof that he supports clean coal as a component of his energy strategy.

"“This record stands in stark contrast to Mitt Romney’s,” said Lis Smith, an Obama campaign spokeswoman. “As governor of Massachusetts, Romney spoke out against coal jobs, saying that a coal-fired plant ‘kills people.’ This is just another issue where the American people can’t trust Mitt Romney to be honest with them.” "

More at link: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/08/14/romney-in-ohio.html

From femmocrat: Seeing those miners clap for Romney really disturbed me today. I just knew this had to be a non-union mine and the men were probably threatened to stand there or face some kind of penalties. JMO, though... I don't have any proof of that. They all look positively miserable in the photo, though.

8 replies, 2481 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Romney and Ohio coal miners: (Original post)
femmocrat Aug 2012 OP
Blue Idaho Aug 2012 #1
Historic NY Aug 2012 #2
Triloon Aug 2012 #4
doc03 Aug 2012 #3
Voice for Peace Aug 2012 #5
femmocrat Aug 2012 #6
spinbaby Aug 2012 #7
BlackGuero Oct 2012 #8

Response to femmocrat (Original post)

Tue Aug 14, 2012, 10:26 PM

1. Clean Coal? Two words...

Black Lung.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Aug 14, 2012, 10:29 PM

2. Thats some body language going on there....

they aren't happy campers.

Reply to this post

Response to Historic NY (Reply #2)

Tue Aug 14, 2012, 10:42 PM

4. That's the learned posture of the working class,

when attending one of those 'first-thing-on-Monday-morning' meetings called by Corporate.

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 14, 2012, 10:38 PM

3. I live in the area and all of Bob Murray's mines are non-union. Murray

paid his employees today and ordered them to get on a bus for the event. Murray was also the owner of the mine out in Utah where all the miners were killed a couple years ago, I think he got fined something like $7 million for safety violations
there. Murray had a $2500 a plate dinner for Romney earlier this year, the word is people that contracted work at
his mines pretty much had to pay for the dinner or lose his business. I would bet he paid for a lot of those dinners himself too. He has ordered all his employees put signs in their yards "Stop the War on Coal Fire Obama". UMW miners I know said he had one union mine and what he did was have one of his non-union mines dig into the union mine. He then laid off his union miners and kept it operating with non-union people. The guy is a world class scum bag.

Reply to this post

Response to doc03 (Reply #3)

Tue Aug 14, 2012, 10:45 PM

5. this could be an OP.. with the same pic

very good information (trusting it's all accurate)

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 15, 2012, 10:29 AM

6. Thank you, doc03.

It's even worse than I suspected. I just knew that there was something fishy going on in OH!

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 15, 2012, 07:26 PM

7. He's a nutcase

Everyone who works in management in his mines is required to go to his monthly fundraising dinners and contribute. One guy I know says it's like a car payment except he doesn't get a car.

And remember the mine disaster in Utah about five years ago? Murray.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 8, 2012, 07:20 PM

8. I used to work for Murray, but was never a dancing bear. Thanks for the remembrance of lives lost.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread