HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Economy & Education » Economy (Group) » We need to design a new e...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Dec 16, 2011, 12:02 PM

We need to design a new economic order

by Caroline Lucas, MP and a leader of the UK Green Party

... The City of London is set, once again, to play a major causal role in the coming financial catastrophe...

...So I want to appeal for a debate about how we transform our economic system away from today's failed economic order - designed to serve the interests of the City of London's 1% - and instead build a new one.

One that is socially just and ecologically sustainable. One that provides useful and meaningful employment for all and strengthens our communities. We can and must find a better way of bringing people closer together and building a better society, while operating within the limits of the ecosystem.

Why will my fellow politicians not engage in these debates? The system we have is catastrophically impaired, yet our leaders remain prostrate before neoliberalism - an ideology that has destroyed jobs and firms, ruined the life-chances of millions, while enriching crooks, thieves and oligarchs. I call on others to join me in calling on our political leaders to match progressive politics with meaningful action, and in taking a principled stand to challenge the deeply corrupt financial system that has plunged us into environmental and economic crisis.

/... http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/blog/2011/dec/16/new-economic-order

1 replies, 782 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply We need to design a new economic order (Original post)
Ghost Dog Dec 2011 OP
Tansy_Gold Dec 2011 #1

Response to Ghost Dog (Original post)

Fri Dec 16, 2011, 01:55 PM

1. The existing one is in the way of anything new. n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread