HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » Men's Group (Group) » Message hidden by jury de...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Dec 22, 2012, 12:36 AM

Message hidden by jury decision

7 replies, 1013 views

Cannot reply in hidden threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Message hidden by jury decision. (Original post)
Jack Sprat Dec 2012 OP
Major Nikon Dec 2012 #1
Jack Sprat Dec 2012 #3
Major Nikon Dec 2012 #4
lumberjack_jeff Dec 2012 #2
LeftofObama Dec 2012 #5
Jack Sprat Dec 2012 #7
Denninmi Dec 2012 #6

Response to Jack Sprat (Original post)

Sat Dec 22, 2012, 07:31 AM

1. I've always told my wife I'm looking forward to being a dirty old man

She thinks I'm already there.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Major Nikon (Reply #1)

Sat Dec 22, 2012, 01:41 PM

3. No, you shouldn't look forward to that.

The point I was making is that even money can't buy youth and love. That only comes in the spring of our lives. Once it has passed, there is nothing that can replace it or bring it back. Not even the older twenties and thirties will ever be that wonderful. Those early years of innocense, of natural youthful hormones, of natural youthful beauty in the faces of young women without lines, wrinkles, and experienced baggage is only reserved for the young.

"Rejoice oh young man in thy youth."

Response to Jack Sprat (Reply #3)

Sat Dec 22, 2012, 02:24 PM

4. Youth is overrated

As I get older I have discovered a deep appreciation for experience, knowledge, and wisdom. These things don't generally accompany youth. The things you seem to infer are detracting from beauty, I see as enhancements to beauty. Certainly youth can be beautiful, but so can the absence of youth. Behind all those lines, wrinkles, and experience baggage is a person who has qualities you're just not going to find in youth. That to me is the essense of beauty. I think my love of photography and art in general has helped me shape this view.

Sat Dec 22, 2012, 01:34 PM

2. Yes and no.

I'd love to be young again of course, but not so much for the purpose of appealing to "the young chicks".

Been married for 30 years to a woman who appears to like gray beards so I guess that's why it's not an issue.

I think that some guys try to recapture the novelty of their own young love by proxy. But that bell only rings once.

Sat Dec 22, 2012, 05:46 PM

5. No.

No offense, but my gym is crawling with guys like that. Usually after the guy walks away the girl (woman) makes a gagging motion and they all laugh.

Response to LeftofObama (Reply #5)

Sat Dec 22, 2012, 08:51 PM

7. No offense taken.

If you read what I said, I admitted that some man of my age would appear foolish and offensive to come on to a young girl. I was just asking if they felt some pangs of heartache facing up to that fact. If your gym is full of them, then I guess that answers my question.

Sat Dec 22, 2012, 07:18 PM

6. Honestly, I've often found myself attracted to somewhat older women.

For some reason, I've never been terribly comfortable with the thought of being with a much younger woman. But a somewhat older woman is fine with me.

Age is relative anyway. I know younger people who act old and live drab lives, and older people who are vibrant and act much younger than their chronological age. The second is what I am working towards.

I think age is irrelevant in terms of finding a spark in a relationship anyway. It can happen at various ages.

True story, I posted about this before in the DU Lounge, the woman who could have been the love of my life was 22 years older than I am, and pursued me when I was about 27. We were co-workers and became what I thought were platonic friends, we opened up to each other about personal problems, but I was pretty inexperienced overall then (well, still am, another issue though), and honestly missed the signals that said she wanted to be more than friends. One day, she called me, upset, and asked me to meet her in a parking lot. I thought maybe she had car trouble. It was a hotel lot, she told me her true feelings and asked me inside. I said no, she was married albeit unhappily, and had a son only about two years younger than I am. I was very tempted, but was terrified at the thought of an adulterous affair and what news of that could do to our reputations.

Even though I know I did the right thing saying no, because it would have been so ugly dealing with the fallout, I have always regretted not being able to say yes, because she was, and still is, incredible. I maintained the platonic friendship for another decade, and then again she said she wanted more, and I broke it off entirely. But, she is a friend if my family, who don't know any if this aspect of the relationship, and I periodically encounter her. Last July, she tried to contact my mother and got me instead, and we talked very openly about things for over an hour, like old friends, and it was nice. She's still married to the same cruel ass, but is a very devout Catholic and won't divorce (well, adultery was ok, I guess, that still puzzles me a bit).

Presented today with the same situation, given what I have been through in life, I think I probably would have gone inside with her. Not sure how I would have felt about myself afterwards, but I would have loved to be able to treat her with the kindness her cruel, emotionally abusive husband couldn't show to her.

Reply to this thread