HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Democrats » John Kerry (Group) » Kerry met by David Thorne...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 11:12 PM

Kerry met by David Thorne in Italy

http://instagram.com/p/WP23F8qiqW/

7 replies, 1129 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Kerry met by David Thorne in Italy (Original post)
karynnj Feb 2013 OP
MBS Feb 2013 #1
karynnj Feb 2013 #3
wisteria Feb 2013 #7
Inuca Feb 2013 #2
Mass Feb 2013 #4
karynnj Feb 2013 #5
ProSense Feb 2013 #6

Response to karynnj (Original post)

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 05:17 AM

1. this is so wonderful

This is ALL so wonderful. The sheer joy on Kerry's face, even in the way he walks. . . it almost brings tears to my eyes.
Also-hey-he seems to be getting more press than ever. And it's actually respectful press! He so deserves this.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MBS (Reply #1)

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 09:28 AM

3. Everything you said

This seems like the last week of the campaign when he was surging towards a win.

I suspect that the press will not continue - even when Clinton was SOS there were periods where she was not that present in the media. In addition, there are so many intractable problems and most may have no US solution, so there will be international things that do not go the way we wanted. That certainly was the case under Clinton as well. I agree though with what Warren said in recommending him to the SFRC - that I am proud when the plane lands and he is representing us. This is a role where his natural grace and manners are useful and important. I also think his willingness to help others find a solution even if it won't bear his name is maybe the talent he has that is most unusual at the level he is at.

I just realized that this might be the first time since Kerry was selected that he was in the same place as Thorne. As Thorne has been with him since they were at Yale, always there for him, this really is a highlight for Thorne as well as Kerry.

Reply to this post

Response to MBS (Reply #1)

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 07:53 PM

7. +1 n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 07:48 AM

2. Lovely, lovely picture; thanks! n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 09:53 AM

4. Boston Globe has an article about Thorne and Kerry.

Behind the firewall, so I can read it and make sure it is not another idiotic Matt Viser's POS, but here it is.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/world/2013/02/28/friendship-that-has-shaped-secretary-state-john-kerry-comes-full-circle-rome-visit/qy97BwPYcqZc4XsWsbrsQO/story.html
Statecraft is the latest bond for Kerry and Thorne

In 1965, John F. Kerry and David Thorne were college-age kids driving around Europe together in a used English cab they bought for $100 and named Baxter. Inspired by Ernest Hemingway, they went running with the bulls in Pamplona. They drove around England, through France, and along the Italian coast, two young men with a summer to kill. It was a friendship that has shaped Kerry’s life in so many ways that even Hemingway might have found it too far-fetched for a plot line.

Reply to this post

Response to Mass (Reply #4)

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 01:28 PM

5. Thanks - this is a great article.

Reply to this post

Response to Mass (Reply #4)

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 04:27 PM

6. That is a fantastic article.

Stuff I hadn't read before.

Reply to this post