HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » International » Latin America (Group) » Lessons from the Failed W...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 11:50 AM

Lessons from the Failed War on Drugs

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/global-support-grows-for-legalizing-drugs-a-884750.html

When about 30 national leaders met in Cartagena, Colombia, in April 2012 for the Summit of the Americas, there was only big, behind-the-scenes topic: a new drug policy. Suddenly Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos was saying: "If the world decides to legalize (drugs) and thinks that that is how we reduce violence and crime, I could go along with that."

General Otto Pérez Molina, president of Guatemala, wrote: "Consumption and production should be legalized but within certain limits and conditions."

Uruguayan President José Mujica said: "What scares me is drug trafficking, not drugs".

Vicente Fox, the president of Mexico from 2000 to 2006, wanted to wage the "mother of all wars" against organized crime, sending the Mexican army into the drug war. Today, Fox says that the war was a "total failure."

1 replies, 372 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Lessons from the Failed War on Drugs (Original post)
naaman fletcher Feb 2013 OP
bemildred Feb 2013 #1

Response to naaman fletcher (Original post)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 12:16 PM

1. "Overcontrol leads to loss of control" or something like that.

I mean, the whole thing was so immodest in it's intentions and ambitions, "The War On Drugs", overreaching of the worst sort, when what we had to start with was, at best, some medical issues with small segments of the population. Instead we have spent lots of money, supported the development of the cartels, many people have been killed, ruined, or incarcerated, or all three, and we have accomplished the wide dissemination of information about the production and uses of "illegal" drugs.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread