HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » International » Latin America (Group) » "Impossible" to...

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 11:16 AM

"Impossible" to end drug trade, says Calderón

ENDING the consumption and the trafficking of illegal drugs is “impossible”, according to Felipe Calderón, Mexico’s outgoing president. In an interview with The Economist Mr Calderón, whose battle with organised crime has come to define his six years in office, said that countries whose citizens consume drugs should find "market mechanisms" to prevent their money from getting into the hands of criminals in Latin America.

"ither the United States and its society, its government and its congress decide to drastically reduce their consumption of drugs, or if they are not going to reduce it they at least have the moral responsibility to reduce the flow of money towards Mexico, which goes into the hands of criminals. They have to explore even market mechanisms to see if that can allow the flow of money to reduce.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/americasview/2012/11/drugs-business

What a terrible story to have read. I think the US got to him. The US certainly wasn't just going to sit around as LA leaders rejected 50 years of failed US policy.

Two points:

1. You end the flow of money to criminals by making the product legal. Then it will stop flowing to them.
2. Note the second paragraphs is a drug warriors we dream: "Ah, ok, so the US needs to step up the drug war and give us more power to inspect people's finances!"

3 replies, 620 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply "Impossible" to end drug trade, says Calderón (Original post)
naaman fletcher Nov 2012 OP
ROBROX Nov 2012 #1
ROBROX Nov 2012 #2
joshcryer Nov 2012 #3

Response to naaman fletcher (Original post)

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 04:21 PM

1. TIME TO END PROHIBITION AGAIN

The war on drugs has failed and it is time to do the right thing and tax that stuff.

Only after drugs are regulated will the crimes it creates be combated correctly. We knew this back in the 70's but the GOP loves a good war even if the war is lost. I tried some and rejected others and I still had a career with UC for 34 years. Even driving a car is dangerous if not REGULATED correctly.

I would like to get rid of alcohol and tobacco, but these are drugs which are regulated and controlled.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 04:33 PM

2. TIME TO END PROHIBITION AGAIN

The war on drugs has failed and it is time to do the right thing and tax that stuff.

Only after drugs are regulated will the crimes it creates be combated correctly. We knew this back in the 70's but the GOP loves a good war even if the war is lost. I tried some and rejected others and I still had a career with UC for 34 years. Even driving a car is dangerous if not REGULATED correctly.

I would like to get rid of alcohol and tobacco, but these are drugs which are regulated and controlled.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 24, 2012, 07:55 PM

3. "You end the flow of money to criminals by making the product legal."

Correct.

Simply legalizing in WA and CO is thought to bring Mexican profits down 30% (since growers will smuggle from within the country as opposed to trying to get over the increasingly tightened border).

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread