HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » International » Latin America (Group) » Venezuela Tribe Denies Am...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Sep 10, 2012, 05:21 PM

Venezuela Tribe Denies Amazon Massacre

SIERRA DE PARIMA, Venezuela (Reuters) - Indigenous Yanomami villagers at the center of an investigation into a possible massacre deep in the Amazon jungle have told visiting journalists and government officials that no killings took place.

International indigenous rights group Survival International also retracted its initial version of the incident in which it had said only three people were known to have survived after illegal Brazilian gold miners in helicopters fired on the village of about 80 people.

"No one's killed anyone," the chief of the community in Sierra de Parima village, who identified himself as Massupi, told reporters through a translator in the remote native settlement.

"Here, we are all fine," he said, dressed in a red loincloth in front of a straw hut in the jungle.

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2012/09/10/world/americas/10reuters-venezuela-yanomami.html?_r=1&smid=re-share&pagewanted=print

1 replies, 440 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Venezuela Tribe Denies Amazon Massacre (Original post)
naaman fletcher Sep 2012 OP
Peace Patriot Sep 2012 #1

Response to naaman fletcher (Original post)

Tue Sep 11, 2012, 04:23 AM

1. Hey, you and the Slimes have printed something, um, sort of positive about Chavez!

It's not that the incompetent dictator couldn't find the massacre; it's that the massacre didn't exist!

I kind of like the colorful writing in this case.

--

"'Here, we are all fine,' he said, dressed in a red loincloth in front of a straw hut in the jungle."

--

But I wonder if a New York Slimes reporter actually saw that. I'll bet they got it from the BBC.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread