HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » International » Latin America (Group) » Uruguay president apologi...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 02:55 AM

Uruguay president apologizes for dirth war death of Argentine poet's daughter--in-law

Uruguay president apologizes for dirth war death of Argentine poet's daughter--in-law
By Associated Press

4:45 p.m. EDT, March 21, 2012

MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay (AP) — Uruguay's President Jose Mujica has accepted the government's responsibility for the death of an Argentine woman during the so-called dirty wars of the 1970s.Mujica says the act complies with a ruling by the Inter-American Human Rights Court in the case of Maria Claudia Garcia. She was the daughter-in-law of Argentine poet Juan Gelman and the case has become emblematic of deadly cooperation between the military dictatorships of Uruguay and Argentina.Garcia was a 19-year-old leftist when Argentine security forces arrested her in 1976. She was moved secretly to Uruguay, where she gave birth in a military hospital before dying in custody. Her remains have not been found. Her daughter attended Wednesday's ceremony.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/nationworld/sns-ap-lt-uruguay-dirty-war,0,7882099.story

Argentinian poet, Jual Gelman

Maria Claudia Garcia & her husband
not long before they were arrested.

Woman urges probe into fate of dissident mom
Posted: 02/27/2008 09:49:08 PM MST
February 28, 2008 6:49 AM GMT Updated: 02/27/2008 11:49:57 PM MST Denver Post Wire Reportdenverpost.com

MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay — The granddaughter of Argentine poet Juan Gelman urged Uruguayan courts to reopen a probe into the 1976 disappearance of her dissident mother on Wednesday, weeks before her grandfather is to receive the Spanish-speaking world's most prestigious literary award, the Cervantes Prize.

Macarena Gelman's mother was pregnant when she was abducted in Buenos Aires in 1976 and sent secretly to Uruguay, where she disappeared under the custody of dictatorship-era security forces, Argentine court officials charge.

Gelman was born in captivity and raised by a military family who adopted her without knowing her true identity, she said.

"I found out in 2000 that I was really the daughter of Maria Claudia" Irureta Goyena, she told a news conference on Wednesday. "If anyone has any information about where the remains of my mother are, please say."

Read more: Woman urges probe into fate of dissident mom - The Denver Post

2 replies, 1257 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Uruguay president apologizes for dirth war death of Argentine poet's daughter--in-law (Original post)
Judi Lynn Mar 2012 OP
ocpagu Mar 2012 #1
Judi Lynn Mar 2012 #2

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 03:22 AM

1. Monsters.

An excerpt of Gelman's "Carta abierta a mi nieto" ("open letter to my grandson"), written before he came to know María Macarena Gelman García was his daughter.

It is very strange for me to be speaking of my children as your parents-who-never-were. I do not know if you are a boy or a girl. I know you were born. Father Fiorello Cavalli of the Secretariat of the Vatican State assured me of that fact in February 1978. What has been your destiny since, I ask myself. Conflicting ideas keep coming to me. On the one hand I have always found repugnant the idea of your calling "Daddy" some military or police gangster who stole you, or some friend of those who assassinated your father. On the other hand I have always wished that in whatever home you may have grown up you were well brought up and educated and loved a lot. Still, I have always thought there must be some hole, or failure in the love shown you, not so much because these parents are not your biological parents--as they say--but because they would have to have some awareness of your story and how they were involved in falsifying it. I suppose that you have been lied to a lot.

http://www.legacy-project.org/index.php?page=lit_detail&litID=12

These monsters can not die without a fair judgement. It's a wound in democracy that can not be healed other way. Brazil and Uruguay must get rid of the amnesty law as quickly as possible.

Thank you, Judi.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ocpagu (Reply #1)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 04:11 AM

2. That open letter is overwhelming. It must have been pure torture spiritually for the relatives

of the parents to live helplessly with the knowledge this wonderful pair of young people they loved so much had been terrorized and tortured and no one could help them. One would think that would tear a person apart.

HOW could any government be this vicious?

Far beyond sad.

Thank you for sharing that open letter. It does seem so nice that the granddaughter was finally able to meet her grandfather. It must have been an astonishing moment for them both.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread