HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Offbeat » Weird News (Group) » Funeral processsion stops...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 07:52 PM

Funeral processsion stops at Burger King

YORK, Pa. (AP) Mourners at a fast-food fan's funeral wanted him to have it his way, so they arranged for his hearse and the rest of the procession to make one last drive-thru visit before reaching the cemetery.

David Kime Jr. "lived by his own rules," daughter Linda Phiel said. He considered the lettuce on a burger his version of healthy eating, she said.

To give him a whopper of a send-off Saturday, the funeral procession stopped at a Burger King in York, Pennsylvania, where each mourner got a sandwich for the road.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/01/26/drive-thru-funeral/1867085/

14 replies, 1689 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 14 replies Author Time Post
Reply Funeral processsion stops at Burger King (Original post)
Initech Jan 2013 OP
hollysmom Jan 2013 #1
texascat15 Jan 2013 #2
Javaman Feb 2013 #12
Agschmid Jan 2013 #3
uppityperson Jan 2013 #4
Agschmid Jan 2013 #5
hollysmom Jan 2013 #6
jberryhill Jan 2013 #7
uppityperson Jan 2013 #9
hollysmom Jan 2013 #10
uppityperson Jan 2013 #11
texascat15 Sep 2013 #13
HMark80 Jan 2013 #8
texascat15 Sep 2013 #14

Response to Initech (Original post)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 10:59 PM

1. I really don't know if I should believe the person replying to me.

Last edited Mon Jan 28, 2013, 12:40 AM - Edit history (1)

Am I being punked?
I do believe that burger king is the worst of the fast food though.
http://www.bk.com/cms/en/us/cms_out/digital_assets/files/pages/MenuNutritionInformation.pdf

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to hollysmom (Reply #1)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 11:31 PM

2. Dear hollysmom - that is MY grandfather - so if you don't have anything NICE to say-DON'T

Dear hollysmom - if you don't have anything NICE to say then keep your feelings / comments ! Especially when you DON'T know the people ! My family @ I would appreciate if you leave your hurtful comments about our loved one to yourself - greatly appreciated

Reply to this post

Response to texascat15 (Reply #2)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 09:53 AM

12. FYI...

It's & not @ for and.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 01:18 AM

3. Punked... well trolled for sure.

Even if they are related that was not really the right way to respond.

Reply to this post

Response to Agschmid (Reply #3)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 01:32 AM

4. Why do you say that "was not really the right way to respond"?

Eta. If this is a grieving family member, calling out someone on their rudeness seems appropriate to me. It goes to show that the world is a small place on the internet and that what you write can be hurtful.

Reply to this post

Response to uppityperson (Reply #4)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 02:14 AM

5. Understand where you are coming from...

But also agree with juror #6:

Juror #6 voted to HIDE IT and said: Hollysmon's original post seemed appropriate to the "wierd news." Texascat15 coming out of the blue and claiming to be a relative and scolding Holloysmom on their first post seems over-the-top.

Reply to this post

Response to uppityperson (Reply #4)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 06:29 AM

6. I don't like being called rude - it was weird news

and I replied in a joking manner, For someone to register just to reply seems like over kill - why were they not grieving instead of googling the story, seems a little fame whorish to we. If we start worrying about everything anyone can say, we will never say anything at all, after all hurtful things are written about republicans here every day, sometimes cartoons on animals might be hurtful to the animal lovers, I see atheists and religious people not being careful... I could go on an on.

Reply to this post

Response to hollysmom (Reply #6)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 06:58 AM

7. Anyone who would arrange that as part of a funeral ceremony:

1. Has to have a good sense of humor, and

2. Has to understand that it would be amusing to others.

Reply to this post

Response to hollysmom (Reply #6)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 11:50 AM

9. After my mom died, we watched Airplane repeatedly. If internet'd been going, I would probably have

googled her.

You can not dictate how someone else will grieve and to do so will only cause pain. Saying rude things about people who have died, well, now you know the world is a small place and you never know who will read what you write about their loved ones.

Rather than simply saying "I apologize, did not mean to slam your family member" you now double down and call them "fame whorish".

I hope you are treated with more consideration when you have a death you are mourning.

Reply to this post

Response to uppityperson (Reply #9)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 01:03 PM

10. Look, you take what you get when you google.

I have mourned more than enough and have been criticized for funerals I have arranged I will leave it at that. Personally, the grief was more important to me than any criticism. Just be aware, what ever you do, someone will not like it and will tell you about it again and again. Just the way it is. You spent too much, you spent too little, wrong clothes, bad make up, wrong city, ceremony too long, too short, too religious not religious enough, bad weather, ......been there heard that, all in all not important.

Reply to this post

Response to hollysmom (Reply #10)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 03:35 PM

11. Thank you for your empathy towards others who may feel differently. Nt

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 5, 2013, 01:15 AM

13. HIS GRANDDAUGHTER

I am David Kime's first granddaughter. I really don't care if you or anyone else believes me or not. And in reference to whether I should be grieving our not or looking on the internet at what others are writing, not that I have to answer to you or anyone else your response was brought to my attention from a family friend. I honestly didnt think anyone would be that nosey about someone else family. There are certain situations that yes comments are acceptable but someone funeral is just RUDE !!

I wonder how you would feel if I make a comment about one of your loved ones, where I had NO knowledge of the person, or the family????

Since your someones mother "hollysmom" - HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF YOU DID SOMETHING DIFFERENT FOR YOUR DAUGHTER ~ THAT WAS SOMETHING YOUR FAMILY UNDERSTOOD, EVEN THOUGH IN THE EYES OF OTHER IT WAS DIFFERENT AND I OR ANYONE ELSE MAKE HATEFUL, RUDE, COMMENTS ON YOUR FAMILY'S FINAL GOODBYE ?????????

I dare to say you would be protective of your child's memory !!!

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 11:31 AM

8. Very Weird

Is it for real? It's very weird!

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 5, 2013, 01:29 AM

14. PS

PS - Hollysmom - whether I am a Republican or NOT has NOTHING to do with NOTHING!!! REALLY ??? Plus I NEVER said if I was a Republican or not !!! BUT I am saying / you I am his granddaughter !! I hope you teach your daughter better manners than you are showing on here.

Thank You to jberryhill, he did have a wonderful sense of humor. Love all three of his grandchildren & one of his most important lesson to us was to love life and fill it with love, happiness and lots of laughter !!! He could ALWAYS make us smile !

Thank You to uppityperson for your understanding of the whole situation !!!

Agschmid, I am David S. Kime, Jr's first granddaughter & whether you believe me or not, don't really care. I know I am and he knows I am !!!

My grandfather was a loving, giving man. And whether he is alive or dead I will defend him and my family until the day I die.

I learned from him & my family don't judge other until you walk in their shoes ! As well as DONT THROW STONES WHEN YOU LIVE IN A GLASS HOUSE !!!

Cathy

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread