HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Computers & Internet » Macintosh Users (Group) » When it rains....

Thu Nov 1, 2012, 06:11 PM

When it rains....

well my Macbook (ok, just over seven years old, and my Ipad I, just five) are showing signs of nearing the end of their useful life.

My wireless on the macbook is spotty at best. I think it is finally ready to give up the ghost. The Ipad at times has issues recognizing the charging cable as a well, charging cable.

And I just totaled a truck...

This means that... I asked mom for points to see if she has enough in the American Express, to replace the puter. the IPAD... well I guess a Mini, or heresy, I know, a Galaxy Tab 7 incher, 200 bucks I can afford, 350, not so much. (They are on sale at Office depot, and yes it WILL need extra memory).

ARGGH, but we also need to replace our wheels.

Yup, when it rains... it pours. Yup, doing my time machine. If the wireless is going, I wonder what else is finally giving up the ghost on the Macbook. Hey, I know the keyboard died a while ago. We are using the external keyboard we got for the IPAD a long time ago. And yes, did consider a Mac Mini... but argh, after I consider the external screen, no, not even MAC, the EL CHEAPO on sale model at the Office Depot. better prices... it still puts it within range of quite frankly a new Windows 8 machine (ARGGGHHHH)

Can it please, pretty please, stop raining now?

I gotta smile... but the last six months have been RATHER EXPENSIVE.

5 replies, 574 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply When it rains.... (Original post)
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 OP
neeksgeek Nov 2012 #1
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #4
Lydia Leftcoast Nov 2012 #2
nadinbrzezinski Nov 2012 #3
sir pball Nov 2012 #5

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Original post)

Thu Nov 1, 2012, 06:32 PM

1. I'm nursing my 2006 MacBook Pro, too...

The battery is gone, the power adapter needs to be handled very carefully, the wireless is dead, and software updates no longer run.

You might consider looking at this site: http://www.macofalltrades.com/.

I have no affiliation with them, but I might soon buy a recent-model secondhand Mac from their site.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to neeksgeek (Reply #1)

Thu Nov 1, 2012, 07:06 PM

4. That place has possibilities

if not enough points, I think I will nurse mine for as long as I can, and just buy at the PX... I have that advantage.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 1, 2012, 06:52 PM

2. Problems with wireless may be your router (Airport) rather than the computer

That was the case with me when the wi-fi on my relatively knew MacBookPro became undependable.

If you do have to replace your computer, look for an authorized Apple dealer (not an Apple store) who sells refurbished discontinued models.

Reply to this post

Response to Lydia Leftcoast (Reply #2)

Thu Nov 1, 2012, 07:02 PM

3. That is how we got that macbook

Thanks THom Hartmann

Oh and no, we are not using macbook air ad all other devices are just fine over the same network. So I know it is the machine

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:19 AM

5. depending on how fast and loose you play with SLAs..

..Mountain Lion can be gotten up and running on a fairly wide variety of quite inexpensive commodity laptops. Theoretically illegal, though.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread