HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Computers & Internet » Macintosh Users (Group) » Mountain Lion Day. nt

Tue Jul 24, 2012, 11:54 PM

Mountain Lion Day. nt

10 replies, 1367 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Mountain Lion Day. nt (Original post)
onehandle Jul 2012 OP
NYC_SKP Jul 2012 #1
hamerfan Jul 2012 #2
Javaman Jul 2012 #3
Berlum Jul 2012 #4
onehandle Jul 2012 #5
Lydia Leftcoast Jul 2012 #6
onehandle Jul 2012 #7
alfredo Jul 2012 #8
struggle4progress Jul 2012 #9
47of74 Aug 2012 #10

Response to onehandle (Original post)

Wed Jul 25, 2012, 07:28 AM

2. I hope ML is a good one

I'm sticking with Snow Leopard for now. It works well for me and does what I want. As I have no iDevices or FB account, most of Lion's and ML's features are not very necessary for me.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to hamerfan (Reply #2)

Wed Jul 25, 2012, 10:04 AM

3. Me too, that is until the second update.

then I might switch over.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 25, 2012, 03:49 PM

4. Mercury is Retrograde.

I'm just saying...

Think I will wait - as Copernicus would surely advise -- a couple of weeks to see how this ML goes down...

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 25, 2012, 04:29 PM

5. Roundup of OS X Mountain Lion Reviews: 'Faster and Smoother', 'Incremental', 'Bargain at x2 price'

John Siracusa, Ars Technica
The Mac is a platform in transition. In Lion, OS X began shedding the well-worn trappings of traditional desktop computing at an accelerated rate. This trend continues in Mountain Lion. Where Lion stumbled, Mountain Lion regroups and tries again—while still forging bravely ahead in other areas.

As the second major refinement-focused release, it's easy to view OS X 10.8 as "what 10.7 should have been." The flip side of this argument is that the real-world mileage we’ve all put on Lion has helped Apple make the right kinds of adjustments in Mountain Lion. If we'd had to wait for two years after 10.6 for the next major release of OS X, chances are good that the worst of the missteps in Lion would just be landing on our doorsteps today. I'll take 10.8, thanks.

Jason Snell, Macworld
All told, I found Mountain Lion to be a stable, solid release. Even prerelease builds were far more stable than I’ve come to expect from OS X betas, leading me to wonder if Apple’s new annual schedule is leading to more careful incremental updates (with fewer bugs) rather than great leaps (with more, nastier bugs).

Nilay Patel, The Verge
Ultimately, this is pretty easy: you should spend the $20 and upgrade to Mountain Lion, especially if you have a newer Mac. You’ll gain a handful of must-have features, and everything will get faster and smoother. I haven’t really missed Snow Leopard at all since upgrading, which is remarkable considering how much I disliked Lion.

more...

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/25/roundup-of-os-x-mountain-lion-reviews-faster-and-smoother-incremental-bargain-at-twice-the-price

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 25, 2012, 05:31 PM

6. If I have version 10.6.8, which

member of the cat family is that?

Reply to this post

Response to Lydia Leftcoast (Reply #6)

Wed Jul 25, 2012, 10:24 PM

7. Snow Leopard.

You can install straight over Snow Leopard. It's Leopard (10.5x) or earlier that complicates things.

Back up first, of course.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 26, 2012, 12:19 AM

8. So far so good. I had to download XQuartz then reboot to get GIMP and Inkscape to work.

I like the smart search in Safari.

Seems snappier.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 26, 2012, 12:26 AM

9. Can't download it from the app store; get a known error; and the known fix

doesn't work

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 11:11 PM

10. The new kitty is purring away on my MacBook Pro

I had to wait for a few days - I had my brother download the installer at my cousin's place since it only took an hour there opposed to the 25 or so it would take here.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread