HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Computers & Internet » Computer Help and Support (Group) » Just wanted to say, you I...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 12:49 PM

Just wanted to say, you IT people deserve a raise!

Thank you all for helping me out with my DVR mail forwarding address problem. In the end, it required a special DNS number in the DVR for email forwarding. That number was supplied by the security cam maker. And for my video streaming, it required a dedicated DHCP Resevation for the DVR IP Address. That last part was figured out with the help of DUer Star Member discntnt_irny_srcsm who referred me to the RTFM. LOL! In fact, it confirmed my hunch that it was a Cisco setting that was missing. Unfortunately, the Cisco Help guy on the phone didn't agree with me and kept wanting to refer me to third party to support which would have cost $$!

So, thank you again, d_i_s!

(PS-Now that I understand how Port Forwarding works, I can't understand where my tech guy originally came up with an IP address that had nothing to do with any of my devices at home. He made it work when the program was using a netgear router, but I lost access to the address when I added the CIsco.)

4 replies, 560 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Just wanted to say, you IT people deserve a raise! (Original post)
Baitball Blogger Feb 2013 OP
discntnt_irny_srcsm Feb 2013 #1
Baitball Blogger Feb 2013 #2
ChromeFoundry Feb 2013 #3
KracevayaKoshka Feb 2013 #4

Response to Baitball Blogger (Original post)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 02:14 PM

1. You're very welcome

Please also know that ChromeFoundry was a big help to you. I believe he was the one who pointed the right direction in solving your email problem. I'm not an IT person but I'll talk to myself about giving me a raise anyway. I just happened to have run into a similar issue with a different device.

It all comes down to understanding what the software and firmware is doing. How hard could it be? It's all just ones and zeroes.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to discntnt_irny_srcsm (Reply #1)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 02:28 PM

2. Yes! Thank you too ChromeFoundry!

Appreciate the responses.

Reply to this post

Response to Baitball Blogger (Reply #2)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 02:50 PM

3. You are very welcome.

Really - no thanks needed. Glad you have everything working!
And you now have an intimate understanding of how all the pieces work together - probably more than you ever cared to know!

Reply to this post

Response to Baitball Blogger (Original post)

Reply to this thread