HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Computers & Internet » Computer Help and Support (Group) » This message was self-del...

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 09:38 PM

This message was self-deleted by its author

This message was self-deleted by its author (Baitball Blogger) on Fri Feb 1, 2013, 12:36 PM. When the original post in a discussion thread is self-deleted, the entire discussion thread is automatically locked so new replies cannot be posted.

5 replies, 516 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply This message was self-deleted by its author (Original post)
Baitball Blogger Jan 2013 OP
discntnt_irny_srcsm Jan 2013 #1
Baitball Blogger Jan 2013 #2
discntnt_irny_srcsm Jan 2013 #3
Baitball Blogger Jan 2013 #4
discntnt_irny_srcsm Jan 2013 #5

Response to Baitball Blogger (Original post)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 10:05 PM

1. Most modems...

...will connect EITHER through the USB or the Ethernet port but not both. You probably would need to reset the modem in between switching from one to the other.

So you've switched to a cisco?

The router probably is supplying an IP address to the DVR (and any other devices connected to it). Cycling the power on the router may change any of those addresses. You probably have port forwarding configured to point to a specific IP address to access the DVR from any PCs, smart phones... This won't work if the DVR has been given a new IP.

Your router probably has the option to reserve an IP address which is what I do for my networked printer/scanner/fax. It will always get the same IP. If you give me the model number I'll try to find you some instructions.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to discntnt_irny_srcsm (Reply #1)

Response to Baitball Blogger (Reply #2)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 10:37 PM

3. Here's the link...

...to the router's User Guide: http://homedownloads.cisco.com/downloads/userguide/1224694474459/EA-Series_UG_Full_3425-00125C_EN_FR-CA_Web.pdf

Page 39 has the instructions for adding a reserved IP. There's no way for me to tell what you should set that to. You'll need to look at page 51 to see how to access the port forwarding settings. The IP to which the port is forwarded is the IP you need to reserve for your DVR.

Hope this helps.

Response to discntnt_irny_srcsm (Reply #3)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 10:44 PM

4. More than what came out of the box!

Thanks!

Response to Baitball Blogger (Reply #4)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 10:46 PM

5. Let us know how it goes. :) n/t