HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Computers & Internet » Computer Help and Support (Group) » hey techs, windows viruse...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 10:30 PM

hey techs, windows viruses worse than usual lately?

because that's almost all i've worked on all last week and this so far. i know i'm knew to the repair tech biz but we didn't have this many cases in weeks past.

4 replies, 552 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply hey techs, windows viruses worse than usual lately? (Original post)
Phillip McCleod Jan 2013 OP
JoeyT Jan 2013 #1
Phillip McCleod Jan 2013 #2
hobbit709 Jan 2013 #3
RoccoR5955 Jan 2013 #4

Response to Phillip McCleod (Original post)

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 10:47 PM

1. When I did it it tended to come in bursts.

One dumbass will send an email to everyone they know that sends it on to everyone they know, either an infected one or a link to somewhere that will infect them. Then six hundred people are infected and they're all in your area. Then you fix one computer with it and suddenly they know what's wrong and who can fix it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to JoeyT (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 11:00 PM

2. ahh.. that explains alot

my town is not that big and word of mouth is bread and butter. i should start asking people who refered them more.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 06:45 AM

3. Yep, comes and goes.

I might see half a dozen or more in 3 days and then not see any for a month..I've gotten fewer repeat customers after showing them some elementary precautions to take. Simple things like hovering the mouse over the link to see where it really goes, not opening emails from strangers, and especially making sure your security software is up to date.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:28 PM

4. I have been seeing more Zero Day malware lately

than I have seen in a long time.
They get the malware out on systems before Patch Tuesday, and people get infected.
It could be from an e-mail, or a website, or a search engine. It simply doesn't matter.
Malware and viruses have been getting more in number every year. In 2011 the amount of money stolen by malware surpassed the amount of money made from illegal drugs. I found this out at last year's Cyber Security Conference in Albany.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread