HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Computers & Internet » Computer Help and Support (Group) » Is it really that hard to...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 11:41 PM

Is it really that hard to downgrade to Windows 7?

I have read a couple articles that make it sound like a real pain. I am moderately computer savvy for someone who does not work in a IT field, but the articles left me worrying that if I buy a Windows 8 laptop, I might just be stuck with 8.

I want to go shopping this weekend, because my refurbished 2 year old is having difficulty starting up (even after running startup repair multiple times), and I don't think it is worth spending money for someone to repair. But it looks like the only way to get a W7 laptop is to order online. Since mine is rapidly failing, I'd rather buy in-store than wait for it to be shipped. I can get Windows 7 cheap through work, but it won't do me any good if I can't do the downgrade.

Any input on this?

Gracias!

13 replies, 1199 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Lisa0825 (Original post)

Fri Jan 11, 2013, 11:56 PM

1. Not if you don't 'downgrade' but erase and install...

This assumes there isn't any device that is on the laptop that there isn't a Windows 7 driver for.

Just install the Windows 7 from scratch (formatting the old Windows 8 partition first).

You might just want to reinstall Windows 7 from scratch on your old laptop to see if that solves the problem.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to PoliticAverse (Reply #1)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 01:58 PM

9. Good point... I think I'll pic up Windows 7 at work tomorrow

and see if that works. Thanks!

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 12:04 AM

2. I hear ya, but just get the Win8 and get used to it...

Most people I know who have it are fine with it. You gotta understand some things like how it's tricky to get to the bios on boot and when it warns you of stuff, take the warnings seriously. Other than that, don't believe everything you read-- make up your own mind when you see it. Biggest real problem might be that your software may not all be upgraded.

However, if you absolutely hate it or really, really miss the Start button, and can't get the downgrade to work, you can still buy Win7 in the box for a hundred bucks or less and install it as dual boot or wipe the dreaded 8 off the disk. I would probably use a separate hard drive for the Win7 install and save the Win8 drive.

As to the Win7 disk, personally, I prefer getting a clean install from the Microsoft disk-- seems like most Windows problems have been from the crap that manufacturers stick in there that screws you up. None of that in the "official" disk and you get a smooth running machine.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 12:15 AM

3. You can get laptops with Windows 7 already installed!

I've been looking ...just Google the brand you want, plus Windows 7, and you'll find them. I did it for Lenovo, and they are out there.

I will not buy Win 8. EVER.

Reply to this post

Response to CaliforniaPeggy (Reply #3)

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 04:25 PM

12. Windows 8 is a toy operating system

Windows made a huge mistake. It is a tab OS. Tab computers are TOYS.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 12:57 AM

4. From what I've read you'll have to purchase a new OEM Windows 8 PRO (pricier)

& then downgrade to Windows 7 PRO (pricier)-- however if you already have Win 7 PRO installation media and product key you won't have to pay for another windows license. You then have to deal with Windows 7 driver availability issues on your Windows 8 hardware & support (or lack thereof) from the OEM.

Reply to this post

Response to Earth Bound Misfit (Reply #4)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 02:24 AM

5. Windows 8

Isn't that pricey. It is available for $40 online until Jan 31. I plan on buying a copy to try on my tablet. The media center upgrade is also free until Jan 31.

Reply to this post

Response to Mnpaul (Reply #5)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 03:50 AM

6. The OP needs a new rig not just the OS.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 06:45 AM

7. First thing is check with the manufacturer support site and see if drivers for W7 are available.

Then get aWin7 install disk with product key and wipe the hard drive of 8 and install.

The starup repair your old machine is doing sounds like the hard drive is glitching. A new drive will cure that. Just because the drive is crashing doesn't mean the rest of the machine is giving out.

I do this all the the time for people.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 12:17 PM

8. 2 things: If your laptop is only 2 years old, you should have a partition to completely..

...wipe the disk (C and reinstall 7.

2. If you do buy a new laptop, sell your old one on ebay. You'll most likely get 125-200 for it.
(Techs buy them for the screen, hard drive, board..Etc)

Reply to this post

Response to BlueJazz (Reply #8)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 02:00 PM

10. It may be older. I bought it 2 years ago as a cheap refurbished laptop.

Thanks for the tips!

Reply to this post

Response to BlueJazz (Reply #8)

Sat Jan 12, 2013, 06:37 PM

11. I may have fixed it!

I had already run every repair/diagnostic I could find on the computer, but since none of those worked, I tried system restore. I figured that or an install would be the last chance before giving up. It seems to have worked! Of course I have to re-install and reset everything, but at least it is working for now! I'd just like it to last one more year, because I am saving up for something else right now.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 14, 2013, 12:38 AM

13. Go to a place with laptops for sale and check out the new version there.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread