HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Computers & Internet » Computer Help and Support (Group) » Using DD WRT on a Linksys...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Aug 26, 2012, 07:00 AM

Using DD WRT on a Linksys WRT54G wifi router as a repeater/range extender.. Success at last.

I finally got my extra Linksys WRT54G router to function as a repeater/range extender after about ten tries, there was at least one person here on CH&S who wanted to know how it's done and I thought I'd share..

The instructions at this link work but there's a catch that I didn't figure out until I'd tried it a bunch of times.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater

The catch is, once you get the router configured and rebooted per the instructions above then evidently you can no longer access the router configuration through the wired ethernet link, this had me puzzled for a while and I did multiple hard 30-30-30 resets to put it back into bone stock DD WRT condition so I could access the configuration, the instructions don't really make this at all clear. I kept thinking I had borked the setup when I couldn't access the router via the wired ethernet.

Anyway, once I got the configuration the way I wanted it and the router rebooted I then unplugged it for a few minutes. After plugging in it took about two minutes for the router to reboot, acquire the signal I wanted to repeat and then allow the two clients I wanted to connect to access the network. It requires a bit of patience to get this to work and patience is not always my strongest attribute.

4 replies, 62150 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Using DD WRT on a Linksys WRT54G wifi router as a repeater/range extender.. Success at last. (Original post)
Fumesucker Aug 2012 OP
discntnt_irny_srcsm Aug 2012 #1
grok Aug 2012 #2
Fumesucker Aug 2012 #3
grok Aug 2012 #4

Response to Fumesucker (Original post)

Sun Aug 26, 2012, 01:08 PM

1. Contrats :)

You may want to add this to the helpful sites list pinned on the group's main page.

I will briefly share my experience.

I have a Netgear router with the WAN port attached to the cable modem. I wanted to add a D-Link router to the network to enable WiFi-N. The required connection and settings are:

- connect a D-Link LAN port to a Netgear LAN port.
- set the D-Link DHCP off.

It's probably better to set the IP for the D-Link manually outside the Netgear's DHCP range.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Fumesucker (Original post)

Tue Aug 28, 2012, 08:37 PM

2. I am somewhat surprised

that you cannot access the router/repeater via an ethernet connection. are you trying to use the sole WLAN port or just one of the 4 LAN ports? the lan ports should work. the wlan port could also be assigned to the switch if necessary.

I use dd-wrt based repeaters all the time. have 5 in fact. but my procedure might be simpler. granted, each individual router has to have a a unique LAN starting IP(192.168.X.1) from all the others to prevent conflicts when i daisy chain them. of course each router cannot access individual devices on the other routers. my goal is just internet access.

Not telling you to change because it obviously works for you.. Just that i am surprised.

Reply to this post

Response to grok (Reply #2)

Wed Aug 29, 2012, 03:09 AM

3. I think the repeater bridge configuration allows for ethernet access..

I'm just using straight repeater configuration, no bridge.

Even in bone stock DD WRT configuration the WLAN port doesn't allow for control of the Linksys, only the four LAN ports do that.

Of course I know just enough about networking to be a true danger to any network I might try to do anything with.

Could you post your procedure for getting DD WRT repeater configured, I'd be interested in the difference between what I did and what you do..

Reply to this post

Response to Fumesucker (Reply #3)

Wed Aug 29, 2012, 08:04 PM

4. FYI

Last edited Wed Aug 29, 2012, 09:04 PM - Edit history (1)

I start with a stock dd-wrt configuration... autoconfig-dhcp wlan. with a starting IP of 192.168.1.1 for the lan, dhcp is enabled for both(dnsmasq)connecting to one of the 4 LAN ports.

I assign a new starting IP for the lan(local ip)(say 192.168.50.1 for example) I assign password,apply and reboot. ( disable temporarily)or disconnect/reconnect ethernet cable) so it re-acquires new dhcp address. in this example 192.168.50.X. log into the browser with the login/password you just assigned with the first starting ip u assigned(192.168.50.1)

Once i reboot router and am reconnected to the router, i then assign repeater(or client if atheros based) status to the FIRST wireless connection. assign proper SSID i want to connect to and SAVE. all other settings are OK if you started from scratch. 192.168.50.1(in this example)

I go to FIRST and ONLY wireless security tab and assign proper password/key with proper security type. APPLY and then perhaps reboot.(not supposed to be necessary but it appears to speed up the process)

what you have to watch for is for the WLAN status on the upper right-hand corner to switch from 0.0.0.0 to 192/10.Z.Z.X (X is unique and NOT 1) If it doesn't switch after a time, it has not connected to the the initial router properly)

To check, i try to connect to google or yahoo using what ever browser tickles your fancy. if it works, you are almost there!.

At this point you can connect 4-5 devices your router. the wlan port will auto magically be available for assignment to the switch. still have to assign it though(first setup tab)

log back into 192.168.X.1( the router you are configuring ...198.168.50.1) ADD a new virtual wireless interface, give it a unique SSID name and save.

go to the wireless/security tab and add a password/key. preferrable WPA or OPEN. WEP is not desirable and doesn't always work. WEP is quirky in any case. APPLY and (maybe reboot)

after a while the first interface should be acquired and the virtual wireless interface should be available afterwards. it should be on the same channel as your first router. wirelessly of course. your ETHERNET port should still be working....

Like I said, this is the procedure *i* follow. if the other works for you, why bother....

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread