HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Computers & Internet » Computer Help and Support (Group) » Open bottle of water whil...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jun 18, 2012, 08:36 AM

Open bottle of water while chasing a fly over my Dell

With predictable results...

The worst part was when I could have sworn that I heard a wee tiny voice laughing at me, while buzzing my head.

Anyways, my Dell XPS 15Z is now water logged. Would someone be kind enough to outline some recuperative methods, without pointing out, and/or gloating in the fact of my dumbass-ness?

Much obliged.

7 replies, 2010 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Open bottle of water while chasing a fly over my Dell (Original post)
cbrer Jun 2012 OP
citysyde Jun 2012 #1
cbrer Jun 2012 #2
citysyde Jun 2012 #3
gvstn Jun 2012 #4
Mnpaul Jun 2012 #5
Denzil_DC Jun 2012 #6
grok Jun 2012 #7

Response to cbrer (Original post)

Mon Jun 18, 2012, 09:19 AM

1. Water and laptops:

http://www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Laptop-from-Liquid-Damage

Follow these steps and wait it out. Maybe a day or two, depending upon temps and humidity. Drier warmer climates dry stuff out more quickly.

Keep this reference for future use. You never know.

You can thank me personally later, if this works. Good luck!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to citysyde (Reply #1)

Mon Jun 18, 2012, 10:35 AM

2. I thank you

for the education, even if it doesn't revive my Dell.

DOH!

Reply to this post

Response to cbrer (Reply #2)

Mon Jun 18, 2012, 11:58 AM

3. Glad to be of help, I like that site and

there are probably others.

Water, in and of itself, does little to damage the computer parts, but water CAN and DOES change the live voltages going through the components. It can fry them, short them out for good, or just give some of the components a good reason to remain unreliable for the future. It's a coin toss as to what will happen in each and every event.

Hopefully the power to the components was removed before water met up with many of them.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 18, 2012, 04:06 PM

4. I'll just reinterate

Wait it out! You want it completely dry before connecting to any power. It is the water and electricity that don't mix.

Be grateful it was just water and not something sticky like soda.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 18, 2012, 06:06 PM

5. If your laptop doesn't recover you may want to check out one of these

Spill proof laptop.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/news/25724/

They have a drain under the keys that less the water drain away. The last Microsoft keyboard(desktop) that I bought has them as well.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 20, 2012, 05:22 PM

6. Probably the safest thing is to partially dismantle your laptop and then try drying it out

I had the same thing happen a while back. I waited a couple of days as suggested, but the motherboard still fried when I turned it on.

When I dismantled it to check it out for repair possibilities, it was evident that water had been trapped under the graphics card that sat on top of the motherboard, and it was going to be an absolute age before it ever evaporated, probably leaving behind corrosion that wouldn't help matters in the longer run.

If it ever happened to me again, after kicking myself in the ass for letting it happen again, I'd go the dismantling route, and use cloths, a hairdryer or whatever plus letting it sit in a warm, dry environment for a while to try to ensure I'd removed every trace of moisture before even thinking about crossing my fingers and powering up.

The Dell website has very useful guides that walk you through the dismantling process for all their models. If you're at all handy with a screwdriver, it's not that difficult given a few basic precautions and a bit of organization, just a bit scary.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 20, 2012, 08:14 PM

7. while you are waiting for your laptop to dry out

I am assuming you have followed other advice like removing from power and battery....

Consider removing your hard drive and copying your data off using in a laptop harddrive enclosure/usb

it's unlikely it got damaged.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread