HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Computers & Internet » Computer Help and Support (Group) » I am taking suggestions

Tue Dec 6, 2011, 03:06 PM

I am taking suggestions

I am now the owner of an extra computer. It is one that I cannot just give away to someone who needs one, for reasons to remain mysterious

8 ways out of ten, it is superior to my current daily use computer. the problems are 1: Not going back to XP, and do not have any extra copies of 7 to install. And not ready to make the jump to using Linux full time. 2: the thing is a monster. Easily 2 times the size of my current machine. In my current set up, aside from disposing of my TV, Printer, and getting a saws-all to make room in the built in shelf, I have no where to keep the monster.

But it is faster, stronger, bigger, etc.

I need suggestions for what to do with this thing. Its hughnormous. Its a beast. Its multitude of fans are louder than my vacuum cleaner. Its got a beasty pair of processors that could do almost anything one desired. I want to use it for something. Any great ideas?

23 replies, 3555 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 23 replies Author Time Post
Reply I am taking suggestions (Original post)
quakerboy Dec 2011 OP
Rex Dec 2011 #1
quakerboy Dec 2011 #3
Rex Dec 2011 #5
quakerboy Dec 2011 #6
Rex Dec 2011 #9
TygrBright Dec 2011 #2
quakerboy Dec 2011 #4
TygrBright Dec 2011 #7
canetoad Dec 2011 #8
quakerboy Dec 2011 #10
HopeHoops Dec 2011 #11
quakerboy Dec 2011 #13
HopeHoops Dec 2011 #16
quakerboy Dec 2011 #17
HopeHoops Dec 2011 #18
quakerboy Dec 2011 #20
HopeHoops Dec 2011 #22
GOTV Dec 2011 #12
Hutzpa Dec 2011 #14
quakerboy Dec 2011 #15
DaveJ Dec 2011 #19
pkdu Dec 2011 #21
eppur_se_muova Dec 2011 #23

Response to quakerboy (Original post)

Tue Dec 6, 2011, 03:16 PM

1. What do you want to use it for?

Something like...what? Rendering? Photoshop? Really depends on what you want to do with it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Rex (Reply #1)

Tue Dec 6, 2011, 03:35 PM

3. Thats the thing. I dont know

I don't really do rendering or Photoshop these days. There was a time, years back, when I would have set it to work ripping DVD's or acting as a game server for. But I don't really do any of those things anymore.

Actually I don't do much with computers, not like I used to. I surf the web, always planning for that day when I have read it all and there is no more. I play the occasional game. I crunch a few numbers for personal reasons. But nothing that requires even half the computing power of my old computer, much less this new one.

But I have the computer, and I have time on my hands, for the moment. So I am looking for creative ideas for a project.

Reply to this post

Response to quakerboy (Reply #3)

Tue Dec 6, 2011, 03:37 PM

5. If you run your own business, it would be great as an exchange server

or something like that. Sounds like it would make a great server...is it XP pro?

Reply to this post

Response to Rex (Reply #5)

Tue Dec 6, 2011, 03:54 PM

6. Interesting

It probably would make a good server. dual quad core processors would seem up to that kind of thing. I believe it is XP pro

What does an exchange server do? Its been years since Ive had my toe in such things, and everything seems to have changed a bit. All I know how to do anymore is set up a super simple file server. Which I don't need at the moment, nor would such a thing require this computing power

Reply to this post

Response to quakerboy (Reply #6)

Tue Dec 6, 2011, 04:42 PM

9. You could host email accounts or park domains on the system.

With that kind of power you could do a lot of things.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 6, 2011, 03:19 PM

2. Could it become the host for a new Diaspora pod?

Also, you could join one or more of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_distributed_computing_projects

helpfully,
Bright

Reply to this post

Response to TygrBright (Reply #2)

Tue Dec 6, 2011, 03:35 PM

4. Whats a diaspora pod?

Reply to this post

Response to quakerboy (Reply #4)

Tue Dec 6, 2011, 04:10 PM

7. Diaspora is a distributed social network

http://blog.diasporafoundation.org/

It is (more or less) the anti-Facebook, in that they allow users total control over their information, they do not take money from advertisers, they don't sell user information, etc.

A "pod" is the D* term for one of the distributed nodes of the network. Anyone who wants to start a pod can download the Diaspora software and begin signing up users.

A DU pod would be kind of fun, maybe.

helpfully,
Bright

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 6, 2011, 04:17 PM

8. Testing superpowers by pinning your thread Quakerboy

I kept my old desktop machine and turned it into a media server with XP, only a couple of programs and acres of hard drive space.

Reply to this post

Response to canetoad (Reply #8)

Tue Dec 6, 2011, 06:00 PM

10. Ive thought of that. I know how to do that.

2 problems with that.

1: Lack of media to keep there

2: Plethora of other devices that keep media. Ive barely scratched the space on the hard drive in my current computer. Same with my wifes computer next to it. And the PS3 next to those. Not to mention any of the other people computers living here.

Seems silly to have such an expensive, fancy piece of hardware for redundancy. Especially when its so loud and I am sure its an energy hog, so running it 24/7 would require serious "this is neat" or "this is worthwhile" justification.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 7, 2011, 08:06 AM

11. What are the stats? (processor and speed, memory, internal drives, external drives)

Reply to this post

Response to HopeHoops (Reply #11)

Thu Dec 8, 2011, 12:16 AM

13. Umm...

Dual 2.67 Intel Core 2 Duo processors, Only 2 gb of ram, but slots for up to 6 sticks. Current HD only a single 80 GB, but I have a few extra drives around, so could easily up that to several hundred, or just buy a single big one for cheap. 2 DVD burners. Installed with XP pro. Considered putting Linux on it, but that might make it useless for other things, as I no longer have an extra copy of windows newer than 98.

Case and mobo design could accommodate an additional 4 optical drives, 5 more HD's, and 4 more ram sticks.

Reply to this post

Response to quakerboy (Reply #13)

Thu Dec 8, 2011, 10:31 AM

16. Frankly, I'd stick with XP Pro. Vista would put a hurt on it and Win7 is much more demanding.

I think 98 SE was excellent, but unless you have the software somewhere (as in applications), not much runs on it now. The processor is fine, but I'd bump up that RAM as high as you can (newer sticks in the first slots) and get a TB drive before installing 7.

I find Win7 to be far more stable than Vista, even with SP2. XP wasn't bad, but they'll be making it go the way of 98 before long. Vista was just one of their intermediate fuck-ups that almost worked. It hangs too much. I've had the Win7 box for about 18 months and don't recall it hanging even once. It runs 24x7 as a household server in addition to being my primary development machine. It only bounces for updates. I won't let Vista try that on its own - too risky.

Reply to this post

Response to HopeHoops (Reply #16)

Thu Dec 8, 2011, 02:42 PM

17. Yeah.

I wouldn't want to go back to 98. and I don't have Win7 extra to install.

But what would I do with it, once I put more ram in it? Its a huge bulky case, with a ton of fans, its loud, I am sure its an energy hog, topping out the ram would cost me a bit. I need a project or something to do with it, as my old computer, which is technically newer than this one, does just fine and then some for everything I do on a daily basis.

Reply to this post

Response to quakerboy (Reply #17)

Fri Dec 9, 2011, 09:29 AM

18. Robot.

When all else fails, make a robot.

Reply to this post

Response to HopeHoops (Reply #18)

Sat Dec 10, 2011, 04:28 AM

20. I like it.

best plan yet. But what for do i need a robot for, for?

Reply to this post

Response to quakerboy (Reply #20)

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 10:24 AM

22. Need? Need? That's not the issue for a geek. It is simply a goal.

I built robots out of tissue paper boxes and toilet paper tubes. I had them do my homework for me since I obviously wasn't doing it while I was building the robots.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 7, 2011, 09:53 AM

12. I have 2 desktops and this is what I do ...

One machine, the weaker one, is the "communications machine". I run my email (thunderbird), itunes, podcast downloader and occasional bit torrent there.

The more powerful machine is the "project machine". I use it to capture/edit/render video, record/edit music, software development etc anything that really benefits from higher processor speeds and a quieter list of background tasks.

I divide the work that way because I don't want the machine I'm rendering video, or trying to record some music to have a hiccup or slow down because the machine suddenly decided to go off and download a bunch of podcasts.

That doesn't tell you where the beast will fit but maybe gives you an idea why a second more powerful machine is useful.

Also, having two machines is great if you have a problem with one you can google the problem with the other working machine.

Oh, and get a KVM switch so you can use a single keyboard, monitor and mouse on both of them.

Reply to this post

Response to GOTV (Reply #12)

Thu Dec 8, 2011, 12:33 AM

14. Excellent idea

hmmm...

Reply to this post

Response to GOTV (Reply #12)

Thu Dec 8, 2011, 04:52 AM

15. Problem is

The "communications machine" is my current machine. But that's basically all I do now. The most intense computing thing Ive done lately was a computer game, and even my most intense graphic'd game runs smoothly and without issue on my daily use machine.

Googling things sans my comp is not a problem. The other computer currently next to it works for that, if mine has a problem. Or, in a pinch, the game station has basic browsing. Or in a real pinch the other people living in the house have computers. Or in a super bad terrible, apartments burned down kinda situation, the neighbor is very friendly, so I am sure he would let me use one of his for a few minutes to file the insurance claim.

As to the switch... Nice idea. I could really have used one of those in college, when I was more into tech, and usually had a few computers going. But no more. My monitor has 3 inputs, and the extras are set up so that when, inevitably, my dad or sister or whoever else says "this computer wont work, can you fix it", I don't have to go disrupting my setup. And my mouse and keyboard run through one little tiny wireless USB on the front, so that's as easy to move as hitting a switch would be.

I have heard of something that lets you use multiple computers simultaneously over the space of several monitors and with only one keyboard/mouse on a single continuous desktop, no manual switching. It seems like it would have to have a hardware component, but from what I recall reading, it was software. I may have to look it up, now that I have time to look at such things. I would guess you probably have to be running the same os on both machines to make it work. That would be a fun project, but I don't think it would justify the space/energy consumption/noise of this new machine by itself

In the end, something like that is what I need though. That would qualify as a neat thing, although not quite grabbing my whimsy enough on its own. The Exchange server idea up thread would qualify as useful, if I had a use for such a thing. the Diaspora pod idea would qualify as worthy use, if it is what it seems and if I held social networks in slightly higher regard.

Wow. I sound picky, don't I.

Reply to this post

Response to quakerboy (Reply #15)

Fri Dec 9, 2011, 03:33 PM

19. I would use it as a remote server and video server

But that setup is assumes you are like me and remote in with a notebook alot, and (*gasp*) watch TV a lot. I admit it, I like TV!

I current use a tiny Acer Revo as my "server" haha. I'd like something better, but at least the Revo is silent.

Since it's winter, it might be ok to leave it on all the time, for the heat. I'm not sure how the efficiency compares to a furnace, but it reminds me of the "data furnace" idea someone mentioned recently. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/business/data-furnaces-could-bring-heat-to-homes.html

I am always finding reasons to log into my home PC using logmein. You might also use the machine as one of those home automation devices.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 10, 2011, 07:20 PM

21. How about a "hardware project"

...break it up into components , add a few , dispose of the old hard-drive and get a bigger one ... add water cooling etc, etc ? by the time you've done that , you may have either thought of a "software" project or be able to get around the mysterious reasons for not being able to give it away.

Cheers

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 11, 2011, 04:35 PM

23. Join a distributed computing project.

folding@home

SETI@home

GIMPS

etc.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread