HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Government & Elections » Campaigns (Group) » Why Repubs not promoting ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 07:11 PM

Why Repubs not promoting Jon Huntsman?

Seems to me he's the best they have -- maybe the only decent candidate they have.

7 replies, 1482 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to melonkali (Original post)

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 07:19 PM

1. Not fundy enough for the crazies, but his day may come.

His father is rich, and they'll get tired of Newt, so he may be next up to bat in this primary beauty contest.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MADem (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 19, 2011, 02:08 PM

2. I think he is too much like Romney in their eyes, so I don't think he will see any jump.

Afterall, he was Obama's ambassador to china, right?

Reply to this post

Response to boston bean (Reply #2)

Mon Dec 19, 2011, 04:31 PM

3. He is young, has good hair (but not great hair), rides a motorcycle, talks like a "regular guy," and

he has three smoking hot daughters....the GOP may just warm up to him if it's between him and Romney. Of the two Mormons in the race, he's the "not sleazy" one.

I get the impression he's hanging back, letting them all cut each other to shreds.

We'll see if his rich daddy, who has a PAC set up, steps forward at the right moment....

Daddy has already funded a few TV commercials in NH. I don't have much regard for the candidate, but the production values of the commercial are stellar.

Reply to this post

Response to MADem (Reply #3)

Mon Dec 19, 2011, 07:59 PM

4. my step father was on a plane from charlotte to dc with him and his daughter

said huntsman just read the newspaper. never spoke with his daughter the entire flight. barely looked at her

He thought it was odd.

Reply to this post

Response to boston bean (Reply #4)

Mon Dec 19, 2011, 09:02 PM

5. They were all on a charm tour last month.

Saw them on TV in three or four appearances in/around NH and on one of the Sunday talkers. They were hamming up the "big, happy family" routine and doing a decent job at it--I think they have some good PR guidance.

If he gets any attention, he could get that bounce at the right time and ending up getting the nod.

We're still at the "anything can happen" stage!

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 23, 2011, 10:39 AM

6. It's a little early

they may do it yet. Each clown has to rise and fall and on to the next.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 26, 2012, 07:52 PM

7. I don't remember Huntsman ever doing well with strategy or voters, except maybe in his home state...

I agree about Huntsman being their best, definitely. If I'm remembering right, Santorum was a leader in terms of notable meaningful endorsements. This seems to support that idea http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Santorum_presidential_campaign,_2012#Endorsements

Romney has won out in campaign finance strategy. If not him, Santorum came very close, much much closer than Huntsman of course, to overtaking the Republican race. Remember his sweeps of states? Crazy. He worked really hard at a grassroots level, actually somewhat inspiring in terms of what can potentially at a grassroots level. I dunno who would have been worse... I had a tiny bit of a relationship with the Santorum family when I was in High School, as one of his daughter's was in my tiny sub-30 person class. I didn't like them then, and don't like them now.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread