HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Government & Elections » Campaigns (Group) » Sunset was about half an ...

Thu Dec 15, 2011, 11:03 PM

Sunset was about half an hour ago, and I really should quit. I won't finish these doors tonight.

But I'm aiming for every registration possible, so I knock one more. A woman answers

Yes, she wants to update her registration. And her daughter needs to register. The woman vanishes into her home, and a moment passes. Then the eighteen year old daughter opens the screen and invites me inside from the cold

It's a judgment call. If I had more sense, I guess I wouldn't be knocking strangers' doors alone in the twilight. And I'm really not cold. But the invitation is friendly. As I enter, I explain that I could quickly and comfortably fill out the registration forms while standing on their porch, if they prefer. Warm smiles meet this offer to retreat

I know my questions by heart: US citizen? At least 18? Last name? First name? Middle name? Date of birth? ... In a minute or two, they've signed and dated. I promise we'll hand the forms to the elections board: expect registration cards shortly

Then I thank them. The woman urges me to be safe, and I say I will. As I exit, her daughter excitedly tells her mother: I can vote!

That's good enough for tonight. In the growing darkness, I head to my car

6 replies, 1032 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Sunset was about half an hour ago, and I really should quit. I won't finish these doors tonight. (Original post)
struggle4progress Dec 2011 OP
NRaleighLiberal Dec 2011 #1
struggle4progress Dec 2011 #2
NRaleighLiberal Dec 2011 #3
struggle4progress Dec 2011 #4
boston bean Dec 2011 #5
struggle4progress Dec 2011 #6

Response to struggle4progress (Original post)

Thu Dec 15, 2011, 11:05 PM

1. K&R for doing something that is absolutely critical! Well done!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to NRaleighLiberal (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 15, 2011, 11:25 PM

2. I'm really enjoying it: there are some priceless moments

Reply to this post

Response to struggle4progress (Reply #2)

Thu Dec 15, 2011, 11:27 PM

3. we will have a lot to chew over when we get together....

I am contemplating rallying my neighborhood to get active in the Obama reelection campaign - we are in a N Raleigh cul de sac type neighborhood with 150 or so houses - most of them red I suspect. So thinking of hosting some neighborhood meetings on getting involved....

Reply to this post

Response to NRaleighLiberal (Reply #3)

Thu Dec 15, 2011, 11:37 PM

4. Intelligent targeting matters. I pretty much do nothing at all in my own precinct

Last edited Fri Dec 16, 2011, 09:53 AM - Edit history (1)

because although registrations suggest D: R is 2:1 historical general election patterns show voting R: D is 2:1

So I work where I'm more likely to pick up the votes I want

Reply to this post

Response to struggle4progress (Original post)

Fri Dec 16, 2011, 05:51 AM

5. I think what you are doing is great.

keep up the good work. I like the stories too.

Reply to this post

Response to boston bean (Reply #5)

Fri Dec 16, 2011, 11:48 AM

6. Little bright flashes keep me going: I won't report them all

An interaction can progress unexpectedly. There are strange moments and transitions. Sometimes there's simply no good way to describe what happened, even when I delighted with the outcome

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread