HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » International » United Kingdom (Group) » The Welfare State, 1942-2...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 06:59 AM

The Welfare State, 1942-2013, obituary

Aditya Chakrabortty
The Guardian, Tuesday 8 January 2013

For much of its short but celebrated life, the Welfare State was cherished by Britons. Instant public affection greeted its birth and even as it passed away peacefully yesterday morning, government ministers swore they would do all they could to keep it alive.

The Welfare State's huge appeal lay in its combination of simplicity and assurance. A safety net to catch those fallen on hard times, come rain or shine, boom or bust, it would be there for all those who had paid in....

The death of Welfare does not mean an end to all benefit spending. Instead, it is outlived by its predecessor, Poor Relief, in which only the very poorest will receive government cash. Analysts are unsure about the repercussions.

"I'm not aware of any country that's ever had a combination of Victorian-style poor laws and parliamentary democracy," says Gaffney.

Instead of a book of condolences, there will be a special edition of the Guardian's letters page. In separate tributes, BBC4 will air some respectful but little-watched documentaries; there will also be a truly unbearable edition of The Moral Maze.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/08/welfare-state-1942-2013-obituary

I hope that this is too apocalyptic. But argh!

1 replies, 684 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Welfare State, 1942-2013, obituary (Original post)
LeftishBrit Jan 2013 OP
Tuesday Afternoon Jan 2013 #1

Response to LeftishBrit (Original post)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 07:01 AM

1. Domino Theory Continues as Predicted.

Last edited Tue Jan 8, 2013, 07:33 AM - Edit history (1)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread